Every home cook (or bartender) needs to know how to make simple syrup! It’s an easy way to sweeten everything from coffee to desserts.
Take your summer beverage game to the next level and keep this simple syrup recipe to sweeten cocktails, pitchers of iced tea and lemonade, and all kinds of desserts!
What is Simple Syrup?
- Many drink recipes call for simple syrup which is basically sugar dissolved in water. It’s a liquid sweetener that takes minutes to make and has multiple applications!
- This recipe uses a 1:1 ratio but for a rich simple syrup, use a 2:1 ratio (2 parts sugar to 1 part water).
- A cup of tea, a whiskey sour, margarita, or mojitos (my specialty!) can be sweetened with simple syrup.
- Make signature syrups by experimenting with different sweet, sour, or savory flavors of herbs, spices, and florals like lavender and rose.
- Add a pop of flavor to cakes, muffins, and pancakes, or drizzle over diced fresh fruit and serve in cups for portable, kid-friendly snacks!
2 Ingredients – Water and granulated sugar are all that are needed. Other sugars like demerara sugar or agave can be used (brown sugar works but will change the color).
We use equal parts sugar and water but you can add extra sugar to make a sweeter syrup.
Sugar Free Simple Syrup – Sweeteners can be used in place of sugar in this recipe. Store as directed in the recipe below.
Flavors – Try any of the following to change the flavors.
- Extracts – Vanilla, mint, lemon, and orange extracts can be infused in simple syrup once it’s been poured into a storage container.
- Citrus – Add a few slices of citrus peels (like lemon or lime) or juice.
- Spices & Herbs – Cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, rosemary, basil, cardamom, jalapenos, ginger or chiles can be added.
Here are some inspiring drink ideas that use simple syrup! Try some classic mojitos, lemondrop martinis, or a French 75. A quick dessert that everyone loves is easy fresh fruit salad.
How to Make Simple Syrup
This easy recipe is a kitchen staple and it’s so easy to make:
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat (per the recipe below).
- Bring to a boil. Simmer while stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool and pour into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid (a mason jar works great).
Cool before using in drinks or cocktails.
Storing Simple Syrup
Keep simple syrup in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator.
How Long Does It Last?
Simple syrup can be refrigerated for up to 4 weeks and should be discarded if the liquid becomes cloudy as it means potentially harmful bacteria are present. For best tasting results, make in small batches. Freeze simple syrup in ice cube trays then transfer to a zippered bag and pop out what you need for ice tea, cocktails, even sparkling water!
What to Use Simple Syrup For?
Simple syrup can be used in so many ways.
- French 75 – So easy to make!
- Fresh Watermelon Mojitos – Sweet, juicy and tangy!
- Lemon Drop Martini – Fresh & citrusy
- Classic Mojito Recipe – My go-to cocktail
Did you make this Simple Syrup? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
How to Make Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely.
- Cool and pour into a container or mason jar. Refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Can you freeze the Simple Syrup ?
Yes, it can be frozen.