It’s so easy to make this Simple Syrup recipe for cocktails, for cake, or any recipe that calls for dissolved sugar.
Mojitos and other cold drinks like lemon drop martinis can taste so sweet without having grains of sugar in it! Use it to sweeten pancake or waffle batter, too! Or just have it on hand for iced tea or coffee!
What is Simple Syrup?
Simple syrup is a liquid sweetener that you can make at home and use for sweetening beverages or baked goods. The ratio for simple syrup is 1:1, which means one cup of water to one cup of sugar.
- Boil down the sugar in the water.
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a bottle or cruet, using a funnel.
Optionally, you can combine warm water an sugar in mason jar (equal amounts) and shake very well until the sugar is dissolved. This takes a bit longer and doesn’t always dissolve as well but works well for cocktails in a pinch!
If you want a flavored simple syrup, then boil herbs like mint or basil or even fresh (organic and free from pesticides) flowers like lavender and rose. Ever had a Lavender Latte? To die for!
How To Cool Simple Syrup Fast
The best way to cool this syrup fast:
- Place a couple of dozen ice cubes in a large bowl.
- After the simple syrup is prepared and still in the pan, set the pan in the bowl of ice.
Stir until the syrup cools down enough to pour into a bottle or to use.
How To Store Simple Syrup
Keep in a clean, airtight container, a glass bottle with a cork or tight-fitting lid is really pretty and easy to pour!
If you are giving simple syrup as a gift put a sprig of mint or lavender into the bottle to make a beautiful presentation. Keep it in the refrigerator to prevent bacteria growth.
How Long Does It Last?
Simple syrup will last about two weeks in the refrigerator, but you’ll find so many fun ways to use it, it’ll be used up long before that!
What to Use Simple Syrup For?
Simple syrup can be used in so many ways.
- French 75 – so easy to make!
- Fresh Watermelon Mojitos – sweet, juicy and tangy!
- Lemon Drop Martini – fresh & citrusy
- Classic Mojito Recipe – my go-to cocktail
How to Make Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely.
- Cool and pour into a container or mason jar. Refrigerate up to 4 weeks.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)