Buttermilk Pancakes are really fluffy and extra delicious, and easy to make from scratch!
This recipe makes pancakes that are thick, fluffy and full of flavor. Top with butter, maple syrup, sliced banana, or even a blueberry topping right before serving.
Ingredients for Pancakes
DRY INGREDIENTS: Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, & salt are pretty typical for any homemade pancake recipe.
WET INGREDIENTS: Buttermilk, (of course!) eggs, vanilla, & butter are what makes these pancakes so fluffy & flavorful! Don’t worry, these can be made without buttermilk too, more on that below.
No Buttermilk? No Problem!
Buttermilk reacts with the other ingredients in the batter. This helps the pancakes rise better and makes them more fluffy and tender.
Make Homemade Buttermilk: If you don’t have any, it’s easy to make a buttermilk substitute at home (which is not technically buttermilk of course).
- Place 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white vinegar in a 2 cup measuring cup.
- Top to the 2 cup line with milk and give it a stir. Let rest 5 minutes before using.
This will “sour” the milk (the texture will change) and it can be used in place of buttermilk in almost any recipe.
How to Make Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- Preheat griddle to medium heat and lightly oil.
- Whisk wet ingredients per recipe below.
- Combine dry ingredients and add wet to dry. Mix just until combined.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto a preheated griddle or pan.
- Flip once the little bubbles on top pop. Serve warm.
PRO TIP: The batter may look a little lumpy, but that’s okay! Do not overmix the batter, stir until just moistened.
Tips for Extra Fluffy Pancakes
- Allow the batter to rest about 3-5 minutes before cooking.
- Don’t overmix the batter, it should be a bit lumpy (images above). The batter should be easy to pour but still nice and thick.
- If needed, add extra buttermilk a tablespoon at a time to thin out or a small amount of flour if you make it too runny.
- Cook pancakes over medium heat so the inside cooks and the outside stays golden.
- Oil the pan by brushing or wiping the pan with vegetable oil (I use a paper towel).
- Watch for the edges to be set and the bubbles on top to pop before flipping.
- Add berries or chocolate chips to the pancakes while they’re cooking, not into the batter. This keeps the sugars from burning on the pan.
Can Pancakes be Made in Advance?
Any kind of homemade pancakes can be made in advance and frozen (this works well with waffles too).
Thankfully, pancakes can be made ahead and even frozen until next time! Make a huge batch then freeze what doesn’t get eaten. Weekend pancakes just got easier! Just be sure to separate them with a layer of waxed paper so they don’t stick together. Stack them flat in freezer-friendly zip-top bags, label them with the date, and freeze them laying down so when they are frozen, the bag can be stored upright, saving room in the freezer.
Best Breakfast Sides
- Easy Fresh Fruit Salad – the perfect side to any breakfast
- Fried Eggs – easy (and great on pancakes)
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage – freezer friendly
- Crispy Air Fryer Bacon – everyone’s favorite side dish
- Easy Home Fries – golden & crispy
What’s your favorite topping for pancakes? Let us know in a comment below!
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat griddle or frying pan over medium heat or 325°F. Lightly grease with vegetable oil.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Create a well in the middle and add wet ingredients. Stir just until combined (batter should look slightly lumpy), and stir in butter. Allow the batter to rest about 5 minutes.
- Pour ⅓ cup batter for each pancake and cook on one side until bubbles form and begin to pop, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for about 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I made these and we all love the lightness of them and flavor of them. I will definitely make these again.
So glad you all loved them Jill!
I’m pregnant and woke up today craving the perfect buttermilk pancakes. This recipe is EXACTLY what I was craving. I added chocolate chips and I was in love! Thank you so much
So happy to hear that, Megan!
My sister and I made these pancakes yesterday. They were so good So fluffy and delicious. Thank you for the recipe!
These were exactly what we hoped for! Simple, super fluffy, just sweet enough.
So glad you enjoyed these Nichole! Thank you for the review.