Corn Pudding is a classic comfort dish and a standard in many Southern kitchens (and in my kitchen too). This easy recipe resembles corn casserole or cornbread pudding but is a sweeter and richer custard-like casserole.
Corn pudding is especially delicious with copycat honey baked ham or a turkey dinner, or any time you want to add a little sweetness to your table!
What is Corn Pudding?
Homemade corn pudding is a favorite side dish with delicious corn flavor of course. Made with only a few ingredients, mainly frozen and creamed corn, it is a moist, custard-like casserole.
- Creamed Corn – Creamed corn is really not optional (and is different than homemade creamed corn).
- Corn Kernels – You can use either canned or frozen corn kernels (or fresh corn on the cob if you have it).
- Corn Starch – Corn starch help thicken the mixture.
How to Make Corn Pudding
Start by buttering a casserole dish and preheating your oven. Then follow these simple steps to make this easy side dish:
- Thaw the corn kernels if using frozen, and melt butter in a microwave
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl and stir in all ingredients.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish, cover and bake!
Can I Make Corn Pudding Ahead of Time?
Corn pudding is such a great dish to bring to pot luck dinners. Since it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to two months, we like to double the recipe! That way we’ll have something to contribute at a moment’s notice.
- To Freeze: Just mix all the ingredients and either pre-bake or freeze the batter in a foil pan or your casserole baking dish. When hardened, transfer the frozen block to a large zip lock freezer bag so you don’t tie up your casserole dish.
- To Bake: When ready to bake, or re-heat just slip it back in the dish, and add about 30-45 minutes to your cooking time, or until it is thoroughly baked through or re-heated and piping hot.
When it comes to tasty no-fail side dishes, corn pudding is always welcome at any table.
More Tasty Side Dishes:
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe – light, tender and moist!
- Corn Casserole – Easy!
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – everyone’s favorite side.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – sweet and nutritional powerhouse.
- Turkey Stuffing Recipe – easy to make ahead!
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup milk whole
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 30 ounces creamed corn (2 15 ounce cans)
- 15 ounces corn drained
- 1 Tablespoon chives fresh, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8x11 dish (or a 2qt baking dish).
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk.
- Whisk cornstarch and cold milk separatley, add to egg mixture. Add melted butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in creamed corn, can of drained corn & fresh minced chives.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and bake for 1 hour or until set.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)