Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken has a crispy crunchy coating with a tender juicy chicken breast inside. Nobody will ever believe that this is baked and not fried!
Perfect to enjoy on its own or in a chicken sandwich!
This is one of my Mom’s recipes… and she is, without a doubt, the best cook I know! The best thing about my Mom’s recipes is that they are always lightened up but you’d never know it to taste it!
I’m not going to lie, I love fried chicken in any shape or form! A seasoned crispy crunchy coating with tender juicy chicken inside. As much as I love fried chicken, my waistline doesn’t so I don’t eat it very often. That means I had to find a delicious alternative.
Not just any ol’ bland baked chicken will do though. I wanted crisp, I wanted crunch and I wanted juicy tender chicken and this crispy Oven Baked Parmesan Chicken fits the bill perfectly!
How to Make Chicken Breasts Juicy
When cooked properly, chicken breasts are deliciously tender and juicy. Here are a few great tips for the best ever chicken breasts.
- The most important thing when cooking chicken breasts is to cook them to the right temperature. Overcooked chicken breasts go from juicy to dry. You want them to reach 165 degrees in the thickest part! Use a meat thermometer for best results.
- If time allows, marinate them. I love chicken marinated in buttermilk, it becomes incredibly tender.
- Pound them out to be even. If you are waiting for the thickest part to cook through, the thinner parts can dry out.
While some recipes make chicken breasts with mayo to stick the bread crumbs on, I find the egg mixture allows the crumbs to stick better keeping the coating on the chicken.
The combination of Panko bread crumbs along with corn flake crumbs and fresh parmesan cheese makes for the perfect crispy coating. Fresh parmesan is best but in a pinch pre-grated will do. If you’re not familiar with Panko, they’re Japanese bread crumbs often found with the Asian items or with the other bread crumbs. They are a much lighter crispier crumb which results in a perfect coating.
I usually use an olive oil spray to spritz on top of the chicken before baking (but any cooking spray will do). Since I like having olive oil to spritz, I use an Olive Oil Sprayer which I fill with my own oil. It’s perfect for this parmesan chicken, for greasing pans and even for spritzing on a salad to have a light dressing.
We love serving this with rice and veggies or even in a bun topped with lettuce, tomatoes and onions for a lightened up chicken sandwich better than any deep fried version I’ve had!
Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 3 eggs , beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Beat egg and set aside. In a separate shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- In a second dish combine Panko Bread Crumbs, cornflake crumbs, parmesan, parsley and garlic powder.
- Dip chicken in flour first and then egg and finally in the crumb mix pressing the crumbs to adhere.
- Place on a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 min or until juices run clear.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Here are a few more recipes that you’ll love!