Sausage Balls are easy, cheesy and oh so delicious! With only 3 ingredients (sausage, biscuit mix and cheese), they’re a great addition to any party menu!
Like Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies, these can be made ahead of time, require very little prep and are always one of the first things to go!
Ingredients for Sausage Balls
I love easy appetizers like Buffalo Chicken Dip and Rotel Dip. These easy sausage balls are the perfect tasty little morsels to add to your snack table.
You need just 3 ingredients:
Sausage I use regular sausage but you can use any kind in this recipe. A hot spicy Italian sausage is great too!
Cheese Sharp cheddar (like I use in pimento cheese) adds the best flavor. Shred your own cheese from a block instead of buying pre-shredded.
Biscuit Mix Biscuit mix is a mixture used to make homemade biscuits. If you don’t have biscuit mix, combine 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup shortening. Pulse mixture in a food processor until shortening is incorporated.
Bisquick sausage balls will definitely hit the mark! They’re crisp on the outside and tender on the inside with a cheesy goodness throughout.
How to Make Sausage Balls
Having only 3 ingredients, these sausage balls insanely easy to prepare!
- Combine biscuit mix, sausage and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix thoroughly (it can take a while for the mixture to seem moist and uniform).
- Roll into balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake and enjoy!
To Make Ahead of Time
Sausage balls can be prepared ahead of time. Simply mix and roll into balls, cover and refrigerate. Proceed with the baking as directed.
How Long To Cook Sausage Balls
- Fresh If you are baking the sausage balls when they are freshly made, they will take about 20 minutes in a 350˚F oven.
- Frozen When baking from frozen, add an additional 8-10 minutes to the cook time (30 minutes total).
If you are unsure, use a meat thermometer and bake until the internal temperature reads 165˚
- Use any kind of sausage, spicy Italian sausage will add a nice kick
- Use a scoop to make preparation easy
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese, shred your own for best results
- If your mixture seems dry, add a bit of milk to moisten
- add diced jalapenos to the mixture
- add cream cheese (4 oz) to the mixture
- add a packet of ranch dressing mix
- add a packet of taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning)
My absolute favorite dip for these Sausage Balls is found in the recipe below. The grainy dijon mustard provides just the right amount of zing to complement these tasty little appetizer balls! You can use any sauce you love!
Can you Freeze Sausage Balls?
Yes, these sausage cheese balls can definitely be frozen. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, transfer them into a freezer bag. They will stay fresh in your freezer for up to 6 months – if your family doesn’t sneak them up before then!
More Make Ahead Appetizer Recipes
- 5 Minute Taco Dip – Easy!
- Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Ball
- Bacon Cheddar Dip
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Crisps
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard or regular dijon
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all dip ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- Combine biscuit mix, cheese and ground sausage in a bowl. Mix thoroughly until mixture is moist and holds together.
- Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, form into balls.
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Do you brown the sausage first or just mix it together with everything raw?
It’s mixed in raw.
Any idea how long to cook in an air fryer?
While I haven’t tried it yet, I think they’ll be about 10-12 minutes at 380°F. You’ll want to ensure the sausage reaches 165°F.
I’ve made this recipe for over 30 years as a breakfast recipe. They are so good. I just use breakfast sausage and dip in real maple syrup
“YUMmmMMm” was the review I got from serving this at the Fourth of July gathering. I did everything as written and it was delicious. Next time, I am going to add some jalapenos.
Enjoy seeing recepies that can be made on a budget
Thanks Karie! Hope you enjoy them!
How long is safe to leave the large ball in the refrigerator before baking into the smaller balls?
Raw sausage can be refrigerated 1-2 days before cooking.
I Ann a little hot sauce for some moisture and heat