Honey garlic chicken wings are absolutely delicious. They’re sweet and sticky and the perfect addition to any appetizer plate. These chicken wings are oven baked until crispy and then coated with a honey garlic sauce.
It contains some of my favorite Asian flavor combinations too: soy, garlic and ginger. This magic threesome is a never-fail basis for salad dressings or marinades.
Serve them alongside buffalo chicken wings and other easy snacks like loaded nachos for the perfect party spread!
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
This Chicken Wings recipe is easy to make. It starts with wings dabbed dry and dusted with a flour mixture. The wings are baked until crisp, we love making chicken wings in the oven. A little sweetness and a lots of ginger and garlic make these honey garlic chicken wings hard to resist!
Chicken Wings in the Oven
When you order chicken wings at a restaurant, they deep fry them. It’s so much better to make chicken wings in the oven at home!
Chicken wings in the oven come out every bit as crispy and a whole lot less greasy. Plus, you don’t have all the oil spatter or cleanup to worry about. Just toss the parchment paper and foil when you’re done.
The secret to making homemade chicken wings crispy:
- Dab them dry them thoroughly with paper towels before coating them with the flour
- Ensure the flour is just a dusting (not clumped or thick)
- Make sure your oven is good and hot before popping them in so the skin will crisp up quickly
Chicken Wing Sauce
You can use any kind of chicken wing sauce for this recipe from Buffalo Sauce to simply salt and pepper. In this chicken wing recipe, a simple homemade sweet and sour sauce is baked until delicious and sticky.
For this wing sauce, I pump up the volume by adding extra garlic and ginger. The result is a perfectly heavenly combination of sweet, salty and meaty umami flavors.
How to Make Wing Sauce
The trick to the best wing sauce is making sure it’s thickened so it sticks to the wings.
- Combine the wing sauce ingredients in a small saucepan
- Simmer until thickened, the sauce should coat the back of a spoon
- Use a foil lined pan (easy clean up) topped with parchment paper (so the wings don’t stick)
- Allow the wings to bake/caramelize
- Cool 10 minutes before serving which will help the sauce to thicken further
Honey garlic chicken wings are perfect as party wings. Serve them with a veggie plate containing celery sticks, broccoli florets and a variety of dipping sauces. Ranch dressing or your favorite blue cheese dressings are easy dips.
More Appetizers Recipes
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip – Reader favorite!
- Crock Pot Chicken Wings – so easy!
- Sticky Hot Chicken Wings Recipe – spicy
- Crispy Oven Baked Potato Skins – perfect for sharing!
- Loaded Tater Tot Nachos – cheesy and delicious
- Pigs in a Blanket – Only 2 ingredients, super quick to make!
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe (Oven Baked)
- 50 split chicken wings
- ¼ cup flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic large, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely diced
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Dab wings with paper towels until completely dry.
- Toss wings with flour, salt and pepper. Remove any excess flour and brush with olive oil (or use an olive oil spray).
- Line a pan with foil and then place parchment paper on top (you may need 2 pans) and bake for 35 minutes, turning at 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in a small pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Take wings from oven, toss with sauce and return to the oven for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes. As the sauce cools, it thickens. Stir the wings every few minutes to coat in the sauce as it thickens.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Here are a few more recipes you’ll love
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Tenders
- The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip (video)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Adapted from Epicurious
Oh my GOD this was good! :D
ive made similar (but also tottally different) dish with the honey glazing but that was just honey and ketchup mostly (still good)
this version with honey and the ginger and garlic is so much more complex but its soooo good!
So happy to hear that, Tom! We love this recipe too!
Made these several times now in the oven as instructed. They are delicious! Can this recipe be used for grilled wings?
I am so glad to hear you have been loving this recipe Jazmine! To make them on the grill preheat the grill to medium heat (350°F). Place seasoned and oiled wings on the grill and cook for about 20-22 minutes flipping occasionally. Wings can be basted with sauce during the last 2-3 minutes.
I haven’t made it yet but sounds delicious. Can ground ginger be substituted in this recipe? If so how much?
I have only tried this recipe as written Debbie. The fresh ginger does add a lot of flavor to this sauce so I can’t say for sure how ground would work out.
can u not buy fresh ginger? its sush a good taste when used fresh, really makes the dish. usually u can just pick up some small pieces from ur local stores. it stays fresh for a long time because of its skin.
Made the sauce – wings were backing when I found the recipe. I didn’t have fresh ginger but used powdered instead. Will buy fresh for the next time. A great change from buffalo sauce!
So glad you enjoyed this recipe. Ruby!
I’m trying to make this but with only about 6 wings. How do I cut the measurements?
Hi Chantel, when you print the recipe you can reduce the serving size. For six chicken wings, it would be about 1/6 of the sauce recipe. You can store the sauce in the fridge for up to a few days which might be easier than reducing each measurement by 1/6.
quite some of the sause also sticks to the pan and paper, would suggest using some more than 1/6th, also try and adjust your pan so the wings fit nicely in there.
Delicious. Will make again.
Instant family hit! So delicious and easy to prepare. :)
Amazing recipe! I enjoyed every bite.
It was as good or even better than eating at a restaurant.
The only thing I did was double coat it with the flour as I had extra due to having only 30 wings.
It’s definitely a keeper.
Just to let you know it’s the first time ever that I have made wings.
Thank you so much.
So happy they turned out perfectly the first time! Thanks for sharing your tips, Shehirnaz!
do you have to add chili flakes?
You can omit the chili flakes if you want!
Wow! That sauce knocked it out of the park!
But I think there has to be a warning on these wings…NOT a first date kind of dish.
We got so sticky we almost had to go have a shower. Or maybe that is a first date sort of dish, depending on where you want to go. ;)
Oh my gosh, Ann! That made me laugh! But I am glad you enjoyed the wings.
These wings were so good !
Sounds so good! Some of my guests are celiacs. Would it be ok to use GF flour in lieu of regular flour or replace the flour with corn starch?
Gluten-free flour will work!
Do you cook the chicken wings when they are frozen?
This recipe is for thawed wings. If your wings are frozen you will need to add about 20 minutes to the initial cooking time.
I just made these tonight and they are amazing! Thanks for the recipe!
Used chicken legs and spices up sauce a little .like it really spicy..turned out great
Amazing. The kids (well, us adults too) gobbled them up! The only thing I did different was added 1/2 the amount of red pepper flakes b/c I was nervous about the kids thinking they were too spicy, but next time I will add all of it.
Thèse are the absolute best ever chicken wings, totally delicious, well deserved 5 stars, thank you
Fantabulous!!! No other words!!
Made the sauce exactly as written – so delicious! I air fried the wings, tossed with the sauce, and air fried an additional 10 minutes. This was the perfect football Sunday meal!
I love these wings! Making them again to take to a Happy Appy Hour… I am sure they will be a huge hit. Thanks for a great recipe!