Simply combine sliced potatoes with onion, seasoning and butter for the perfect effortless side dish!
How to Grill Potatoes in Foil
Grilled potatoes are easy to make and everyone absolutely loves them! The cook a bit quicker than making baked potatoes since they’re sliced before grilling. Grilled potatoes make a great complement to steaks, burgers, and grilled chicken breasts!
Make this potato foil packets in 3 easy steps!
- Slice potatoes about ¼” inch thick. If adding additional veggies, wash and slice them as well.
- Place one whole sliced potato and some sliced onions in the center of each foil square and top with butter and seasonings.
- Seal, grill and serve!
Get Creative with Additions
Seasonings: Feel free to get creative with your favorite seasonings! Add a dash of spice, chili powder, garlic powder, or even your favorite steak seasonings!
Veggies: Anything and everything goes here! Add in garden veggies like sliced carrots or add in fresh mushrooms or chopped/sliced bell peppers.
Toppings: After cooking, top with sour cream, salsa, cheese, jalapeños and green onions! Foil potatoes can be topped with anything!
How Long to Cook Grilled Potatoes
To make grilled potatoes in foil, place packets directly on the grill rack and cook approximately 30 minutes turning occasionally until tender.
No grill or is your grill full of BBQ Chicken? These foil potato packets can be baked in the oven at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through.
Roughing it and looking to make campfire-style foil packet potatoes? Place them directly onto some of the coals (not in the flames) and cook about 20-30 minutes or so turning occasionally.
You want them to cook but ensure they don’t burn (I sometimes add an icecube to the middle of the packet to help steam them). Carefully use tongs to remove packets from the coals.
More Grilled Side Dishes
- Balsamic Grilled Vegetables – 5 ingredient marinade!
- Grilled Corn Salad – simple summer side with a Mexican flair
- Easy Grilled Eggplant – Easy to make!
- Grilled Zucchini – Family favorite recipe!
- Parmesan Grilled Asparagus – Great with steaks!
Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- 3 lbs potatoes cut ¼" slices
- 1 small onion thinly
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- real bacon bits
- Place foil packets on the counter and spray with cooking spray.
- Wash and slice potatoes (and onions/mushrooms if using).
- Place potato slices (approx 1 potato per packet) and any optional toppings on each foil piece. Top with a generous pat of butter and salt/pepper to taste. Fold each packet closed.
- Grill over medium heat for 30 minutes or until soft.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)