Adding a Marinade to Vegetables before grilling transforms them from ordinary to extraordinary!
A simple vegetable marinade with balsamic vinegar and garlic adds flavor while helping the veggies to grill and caramelize beautifully.
It’s incredible how good vegetables taste from the grill. Savory and smoky, there’s no better simmer side dish.
Vegetables for Grillling
This is the best-grilled vegetable recipe because it’s easy and so versatile!
Good vegetables to grill are ones that will hold their shape and can be cut large enough not to fall through the grate. Here are some of the veggies that perform well on the grill, and are especially delicious prepared this way:
- Crunchy: red bell pepper, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, corn, cauliflower
- Flavor Packed: onion wedges or whole garlic cloves
- Tender: whole mushrooms, yellow squash, cherry or grape tomatoes, eggplant or zucchini slices
Grilled Vegetable Marinade
Start With a Great Vegetable Marinade: No matter how you decided to serve your veggies, you will want to start by marinating them! It doesn’t have to be for long, even 20-30 minutes will infuse some flavor.
- Acid: Use lemon juice or wine vinegar in place of balsamic if desired
- Herbs: Rosemary is especially delicious with grilled vegetable marinade. Other herbs that go well are oregano, thyme, marjoram, sage, and basil.
- Aromatics: Depending on what you’re serving this with, add in your favorites like garlic, minced green onion, and ginger. Season generously with kosher salt & black pepper.
How to Grill Vegetables
Grilling mixed vegetables is super easy. You can either place slices or wedges straight on the grill, use skewers, or better yet, a grill basket.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut the veggies large enough so they don’t slip through the grates.
- Prepare the vegetable marinade and add the veggies for at least 20 minutes.
- Grill until tender, removing vegetables from the grill to a plate as they cook.
More Options for Grilling Marinated Veggies
- Skewers – Thread veggies onto skewers if desired. If using wood skewers, soak them for at least 30 minutes (or even overnight) so they don’t burn.
- Grill Basket – Use a grill basket to cook veggies simple and quickly. Add fast-cooking veggies toward the end.
- Grill Mat – I use a grill mat for almost everything, you still get the perfect grill marks and all of the flavor but avoid the flare-ups plus nothing falls through!
More Grilled Vegetables We Love
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
- 1 small zucchini sliced ½" thick
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 1 bell pepper cubed
- 8 ounces mushrooms halved
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Remove vegetables from marinade and place in a grilling basket or on a grill mat (or thread onto skewers).
- Grill 8-12 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!