Ham Bone Soup is the perfect way to use up your leftover baked ham. This easy recipe takes just a few minutes to put into the slow cooker and the results are amazing!
A meaty ham bone is slow cooked with veggies like potatoes, carrots, corn, and beans. Serve it with some easy dinner rolls for the perfect post-Christmas meal!
Comforting Soup Recipes
We love soups around the holidays. They are not only easy, but so comforting as the weather is less than favorable. I love making easy slow cooker soups like chicken noodle soup and Homemade French Onion Soup!
This ham bone vegetable soup recipe couldn’t be easier. You probably have all of the ingredients on hand, which makes the recipe a breeze!
Add the ingredients to your Crock Pot and let it work its magic (although you can of course, cook it on the stovetop if you’d prefer). You’re left with a freezable ham soup that the entire family will absolutely love!
This ham bone soup recipe uses water because everything else in the recipe provides so much flavor already. If you want to boost it even more (or have any leftover from your turkey gravy), use some homemade turkey stock to bring it up a notch. I also love adding any veggies I have leftover from my turkey dinner!
Keep in mind ham already has quite a bit of salt so if you’re adding broth, I’d suggest a low sodium or no sodium version.
What To Do With Ham Bone
Because the ham bone has already been cooked, it will have a ton of flavor. It should be used rather than put to waste.
If you have a ham bone to use, making a ham and bean soup or split pea soup are the best ways to put it to good use! With a ham bone, you can easily put it in the freezer after your holiday meal and then just put it directly in the Crock Pot from frozen to make this ham bone soup.
How To Make Ham Bone Soup
This is the best ham bone soup and since it is made in a slow cooker, all you really need to do is a tiny bit of prep.
- Dice, chop, and slice your veggies
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook until tender
- Remove meat from the bone and add back into your soup
See, it is one of the simplest soups you will ever make. Enjoy!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Crock Pot Ham (Video)
- Easy Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Ham & Cheese Slider Bake
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Ham
Ham Bone Soup
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 large onion diced
- 15 oz cannellini beans drained and rinsed (white kidney beans)
- 7 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover soup and cook on high 6 hours or low 9-10 hours.
- Remove ham bone, bay leaves and thyme stems (if using fresh thyme).
- Chop meat from the bone and add back into the soup. Stir and serve.
Note: I usually make this with water but it can be