This Crock Pot Steak recipe is a no-fail favorite that creates fork-tender beef in a rich brown gravy. It’s perfect served over mashed potatoes or even pasta.
This is an easy recipe that can be prepped in the morning and cooks low and slow all day for a cozy dinnertime favorite.
Savory Crock Pot Steak
Inexpensive round or cube steaks are browned in bacon fat and simmered in the crockpot with some red wine, broth, and mushrooms.
The result is meat that is cooked into tender perfection and smothered in a rich and tasty gravy.
- This recipe is the perfect ‘set it and forget it’ meal!
- This meal is hearty like a stew with easy prep.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or even in hoagie buns with mozzarella cheese.
- Make ahead of time and reheat (or even freeze) leftovers for another meal.
Ingredients and Variations
BEEF: Crockpots can cook all kinds of inexpensive meats to fork tender perfection. Cube steaks benefit from either being cooked quickly in a pan or very low and slow until tender. If you don’t have cube steaks, I’d recommend using other cuts that tenderize well in a crock pot like chuck roast, stewing beef, or round steak.
What are cube steaks?
Cube steaks are sometimes known as minute steaks (or even called swiss steak) and are cut from either top or bottom round.
Since they’re very lean, they can be tough. They’re most often sold tenderized at the store (making them look almost like ground beef).
THE GRAVY: Mix cornstarch with water to create a slurry. This will be mixed in with the juices of the cooked meat to create rich and flavorful gravy!
How to Make Crock Pot Steaks
- Sauté bacon & remove from pan. Season steaks with salt & pepper & brown in the bacon fat.
- Add to the crock pot with remaining ingredients (per recipe below) except bacon & cornstarch. Cook until tender.
- Once tender, thicken the gravy with a cornstarch slurry.
- Garnish with bacon & serve over potatoes.
Keep leftover creamy crockpot steak in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Freeze individual portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooker Beef Burritos
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- French Dip Sandwiches
- CrockPot Beef Stew
- Crockpot Swiss Steak
Did your family love this Crock Pot Steak & Gravy? Leave a comment below!
Crock Pot Steaks and Gravy
- 2 pounds cube steaks round steaks, or minute steaks
- 6 slices bacon uncooked
- 1 large onion sliced
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 ounces mushrooms halved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon dry rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Pound the steaks using a meat tenderizer/mallet.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, leaving the fat in the bottom of the pan.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and brown in the bacon fat. Place in the bottom of a 6qt slow cooker.
- Add onions to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes or just until it softens. Place onions in the slow cooker. Add wine to the pan, scraping any brown bits off, and pour into the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients except bacon & cornstarch. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove bay leaf. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Stir into the slow cooker and cover. Cook 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in bacon and serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)