Not only is this quick 30-minute meal super easy, but Chicken ala King is delicious too!
Why We Love this Recipe
Quick: This recipe only takes 30 minutes to put together, start to finish.
Rotisserie chicken really adds to the simplicity of this dish, it’s great for a busy weeknight or to feed a crowd! Substutute leftover ham or turkey if it’s what you have on hand.
Mix it up: Chicken ala King is versatile. It’s traditionally served with puff pastry shells or biscuits, but you can also serve it over rice, egg noodles or even mashed potatoes!
This dish has mushrooms and peas but for some extra color and flavor, add any extra veggies you have!
The best Chicken ala King uses the freshest of ingredients!
CHICKEN Shredded rotisserie chicken makes this recipe so simple, but feel free to use any chicken you have on hand. Just make sure it’s cooked before stirring into the sauce!
VEGGIES I used fresh mushrooms, onions, peas, and pimentos in this recipe but any veggie will taste wonderful! Colorful peppers, corn, carrots or broccoli will really make this dish pop!
SAUCE Rich & creamy sauce made with chicken stock, seasonings, and cream is one of the best parts of this dish!
How to Make Chicken ala King
This recipe is so easy to make, and comes together so quickly!
- Saute mushrooms and onions in butter.
- Add seasonings (per recipe below) and flour.
- Whisk in chicken stock and cream.
- Stir in the peas, pimentos, and chicken.
Tips for Perfect Chicken ala King
- Be sure to cook chicken before adding to pasta if you’re not using rotisserie chicken.
- Chicken breast, chicken thighs or even tuna are all great substitutions!
- Freeze Chicken ala King without the rice, pasta, or bread since those items don’t freeze well with sauce added. Instead, ladle the Chicken ala King into zippered bags or an airtight container with the date on it and freeze flat.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Refresh the flavors by adding a little dash of salt and pepper and make new rice, pasta, or fresh bread to serve again!
Other Delicious Chicken Dishes
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Pasta – a one-pot dish
- Chicken Alfredo Bake – a family favorite!
- Roasted Rosemary Chicken – simple to make!
- Chicken Cacciatore – fresh ingredients
- Chicken Mushroom Casserole – delicious comfort-food
Did you make this Chicken ala King? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken ala King
- In a large high sided 12-inch skillet add butter and set over medium-high heat.
- When the butter is melted, saute mushrooms and onions until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, black pepper, and kosher salt.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until a paste is formed.
- While stirring, slowly pour in the chicken stock and half and half. Stir to make sure no chunks of flour remain.
- Lower the heat to low and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, chopped pimentos, and rotisserie chicken.
- Serve over pasta, rice, or biscuits.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!