Not only is this quick meal super easy, but Chicken a la King is delicious too!
Chunks of tender chicken are mixed with fresh vegetables and pimentos in a rich and creamy homemade sauce!
Serve this over puff pastry, biscuits, rice or potatoes.
Why We Love This Chicken a la King Recipe
- It’s quick to put together and packed with rich creamy flavor.
- Skip the condensed soup, this chicken ala king recipe is just about as fast made from scratch.
- Use rotisserie chicken or leftover ham or turkey.
- Served it in puff pastry shells or spooned biscuits, rice, egg noodles, toast, or even mashed potatoes!
Ingredients in Chicken a la King
This is a classic chicken a la king with a homemade cream sauce.
CHICKEN Shredded rotisserie chicken makes this recipe so simple, but feel free to use any cooked chicken you have on hand. If you don’t have cooked chicken, see the note below.
VEGGIES I used fresh mushrooms, onions, peas, and pimentos in this recipe but any veggie will taste wonderful! Colorful peppers, corn, carrots, or broccoli are great additions!
SAUCE Rich & creamy sauce made with chicken stock, seasonings, and cream is one of the best parts of this dish!
How to Make Chicken ala King
This recipe is so easy to make, and comes together so quickly!
- Saute mushrooms and onions in butter (per the recipe below).
- Stir in seasonings and flour. Whisk in chicken stock and cream.
- Stir in the peas, pimentos, and chicken and cook until heated through.
Tips for Perfect Chicken a la King
- Be sure to cook chicken before adding to pasta if you’re not using rotisserie chicken.
- Chicken breast, chicken thighs or even tuna are all great substitutions!
- Freeze Chicken ala King without the rice, pasta, or bread since those items don’t freeze well with sauce added. Instead, ladle the Chicken ala King into zippered bags or an airtight container with the date on it and freeze flat.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Refresh the flavors by adding a little dash of salt and pepper and make new rice, pasta, or fresh bread to serve again!
More Quick Chicken Recipes
Did you make this Chicken ala King? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken a la King
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup petite frozen peas
- ½ cup pimentos drained and chopped
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken
- In a large 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, black pepper, and kosher salt.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until a paste is formed. Cook for 2 minutes.
- While stirring, slowly pour in the chicken stock and half and half. Stir to make sure no chunks of flour remain.
- Turn the heat to low and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, chopped pimentos, and rotisserie chicken. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- Serve over pasta, rice, or biscuits.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!