This Easy Chicken Gumbo recipe is like a party for your mouth! Vibrant, spicy flavor simmered to perfection, this combination of chicken, sausage, okra, and veggies is cooked in a creamy creole spiced broth that is just pure comfort.
We are now in the thick of winter with long, dreary days and cold wind….making me crave all the soups and stews my family loves, including our favorite Beef Stew. And while I love a good classic crock pot chicken and noodles, this easy Chicken Gumbo recipe comes together quickly and easily right on my stovetop. A great option for dinner when planning wasn’t well planned….and weeknights are crazy busy.
I love to experiment with bold, vibrant spices when making quick dinners that aren’t going to be simmering all day long, like in my super popular Taco Soup and Easy Fish Tacos. Classic creole seasonings are perfect for recipes because they blend well into soups and stews punching up the flavor without having to add a ton of other spices. That’s exactly what I did with this chicken and sausage gumbo recipe to get it on the table without spending hours hovering over a pot.
What is Gumbo Soup Made of?
Gumbo is a peppery chicken or meat stew that’s common in Creole cooking. It is thickened with okra and a classic roux, which is a browned flour mixture that lends tons of flavor to the broth.
What is the Difference Between Gumbo and Jambalaya?
While similar in flavor and add-ins like chicken, sausage or seafood, Jambalaya is more of a paella dish or primarily a rice based dish. Gumbo, on the other hand, is a soup or stew based recipe that is thickened with a roux.
What is Traditionally Served With Gumbo?
I love to serve my Chicken Gumbo soup with plain white rice, but I’ve been to restaurants in Louisiana that serve their gumbo recipe with potato salad. It sounds strange but it’s certainly delicious and adds a ton of body to the soup. Definitely a must-try if you’re feeling adventurous in the kitchen!
What Ingredients are in Easy Chicken Gumbo?
While there really isn’t a set list of ingredients for gumbo, I like to make my chicken and sausage gumbo with okra. The okra acts like an additional thickening agent for the gumbo soup which makes it extra creamy and hearty.
The ingredients for this Easy Chicken Gumbo recipe are fairly simple and you’d likely have most of them in your kitchen already. This recipe has a lot of flavor from aromatics and spices. We add peppers, onions and celery for veggies and the protein in this recipe comes from both andouille sausage and chicken.
All the ingredients are pretty common in everyday cooking and I can guarantee you, if you add creole seasoning to the list, you’re going to want to put it on everything.
What Can You Serve Alongside Your Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo?
We LOVE these easy sides for our chicken sausage gumbo:
- The BEST Smashed Potato Salad…THIS is what I had in that Louisiana restaurant
- Garlic Butter Rice for an extra oomph of flavor!
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe – to sop up this delicious gumbo!
- Dirty Rice, a bayou classic
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Seafood Gumbo
- Collard Greens
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Black Eyed Peas Recipe (with Ham)
- Lemon Shrimp Linguine
- Slow Cooker Turkey Soup (Cajun Bean)
Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced smoked andouille sausage approximately 3 links
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning or cajun seasoning
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen okra (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice optional, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium/high heat.
- Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until the mixture starts to turn golden brown and smell nutty, approximately 3-4 minutes. (Do not stop whisking or the roux will burn.)
- Stir in the onion, bell pepper and celery. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the sausage to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the garlic, mustard, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder and creole seasoning. Cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly and scraping up any brown bit on the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly add the chicken stock to the pot stirring to combine. Add the chicken and bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the bay leaf, okra, salt and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the soup begins to thicken.
- Serve the chicken gumbo over rice, if desired. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and parsley for an extra pop of color.