Banana Nut Bread is an easy banana bread recipe, perfect for those last minute guests or lazy weekend breakfasts. Made with ripe bananas, pecans, and cinnamon this homemade bread is so airy and moist.
Ingredients in Banana Nut Bread
Bananas: You’ll want bananas that are spotty and brown with a little bit of yellow. Ripe bananas have more sugars and are sweeter, the perfect addition to this bread.
Butter & Shortening: This banana nut bread uses a combination of shortening and butter. Shortening has a higher fat content (and melting point) so it makes a more tender bread. The addition of butter is for flavor. You can use all butter in this recipe if you prefer but I would suggest trying it with shortening too, the results are great!
Nuts: You can use any kind of nuts in this recipe, my go to is pecans or walnuts.
How to Make Banana Nut Bread
- Mix the butter/shortening with sugar until fluffy. This incorporates air into the mixture for a tender bread.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients (per recipe below) just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Spread into a loaf pan and top with cinnamon sugar pecans. Bake about 1 hour.
Tip for Baking Moist Bread
Banana nut bread is considered a ‘quick bread’ because there is no yeast.To keep it moist, here are a few tips and tricks:
- Use very ripe, soft bananas, they’re extra sweet and moist and impart the most ‘banana-y’ flavor!
- Have ingredients at room temperature before beginning.
- Butter tastes great, but shortening produces a softer crumb.
- Gently fold in the wet and dry ingredients with a spatula and be careful not to ‘overstir.’ A light, fluffy bread that goes into the pan comes out airy, moist, and beautiful!
Banana nut bread will last at room temperature about 4 or 5 days. Keep it wrapped tightly in a cooler space on the counter.
Can I Freeze Banana Nut Bread?
This banana nut bread recipe is a champion for freezing and can be frozen, thawed, and served (without anyone noticing!) for about 2 to 3 months.
Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then seal in a freezer bag with the date on it. To save freezer space, slice in 1 inch slices and layer in a zippered bag and place the bags flat in the freezer. Once they are frozen, stack them neatly. This also allows you to thaw only the portions you need.
Have More Bananas?
- Easy Banana Bread – perfect every time
- Banana Breakfast Cookies – healthy grab’n’go breakfast!
- Chocolate Banana Bread – deliciously decadent
- Easy Banana Bran Muffins – soft & moist!
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread – packed with fruits & veggies!
Easy Banana Nut Bread
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas about 3 medium
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment paper) an 8x4 loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- With a hand mixer on medium, combine sugar, butter and shortening in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and mix well. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Toss nuts with remaining tablespoon of flour and fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and top with topping. Combine topping ingredient and sprinkle over loaf.
- Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.