They’re deliciously soft and moist and they’re full of flavor making them the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack!
Served warm with a bit of butter and a little drizzle of honey, these are going to be the breakfast your family requests over and over again!
I am so excited to have partnered with Alberta Wheat to bring you this belly-warming raisin bran muffin recipe.
An Easy Staple
Muffins are kind of a staple around here, they’re easy to make, freeze well and are the perfect grab and go snack!
As much as I love a traditional Banana Muffin, I also love the wholesome almost nutty flavor of a bran muffin.
In this recipe, I’ve combined two of my favorite muffin recipes to create a bran muffin that is soft and tender and extra moist from adding in mashed bananas.
Served warm with a drizzle of honey, these banana bran muffins are sure to become a favorite!
Great Way to Use Those Ripe Bananas
These easy banana bran muffins are the perfect way to enjoy ripe bananas along with the goodness of whole wheat and bran!
Bananas not only add sweetness, but they add enough moisture so the butter in this recipe is kept to a minimum.
Bran muffins can sometimes be dense and heavy but not these ones! These bran muffins are fluffy and perfectly tender!
Alberta Wheat Flour
When I had the opportunity to be a part of Alberta Wheat Commission’s Life’s Simple Ingredient campaign, I was excited not only share this great recipe, but to share my favorite way to include Alberta wheat as part of a balanced diet
I’ve incorporated whole wheat flour into these tasty morsels for a nutritional boost and it also adds great flavor and helps me to keep full all morning long!
Whole wheat flour has so much to offer, providing a source of fibre, vitamins, minerals and is also a plant based protein. A plant-based diet, which includes grains, can help reduce the chance of heart disease and can also help regulate blood glucose levels for people with diabetes. Most of us don’t get enough fiber in our diets these days so I love when I can incorporate extra fiber and also add tons of extra flavor!
How to Incorporate Whole Wheat Flour Into A Recipe
The benefits for incorporating whole wheat flour into your recipes is clear. But how can we do this without compromising texture and flavor? Here are a few tips to make sure your recipes are successful while adding in the goodness of whole wheat flour!
- Start Slowly – Whole wheat flour has a lovely almost nutty flavor. When adding whole wheat flour to a recipe you have previously made with all purpose flour, try substituting just a small portion at first (half all purpose and half whole wheat for example). Once you know how the recipe tastes with the addition you can decide if you would like to incorporate a bigger portion of whole wheat flour.
- Ratio of Substitution – Whole wheat flour is more dense than all purpose flour. When swapping out whole wheat for regular flour, you will need to use less than you would all purpose flour. Try a ratio of 3:4 for whole wheat flour to white flour.
- Add a bit more liquid – Whole wheat flour can tend to absorb more moisture, you might like to add an extra tablespoon or two of liquid to keep your recipe from becoming dry.
Following the tips above will help you transition into using whole wheat flour more often in your recipes and baked goods.
I personally love the nutty flavor bran adds to baked goods, cereal and of course these easy bran muffins! It’s something we should all incorporate into our diets!
What is Bran? (and why do we need it).
Bran is the outer layer of grains like wheat, oats and even rice. In most bran muffin recipes (like this one) wheat bran is used.
While wheat bran is most known for having tons of fiber, it also has lots of other nutritional benefits including vitamins and minerals.
When we eat bran, we don’t actually digest it but it does help us feel full and studies show it helps prevent colon cancer and aid in weight loss among many other benefits.
Perfect Bran Muffins
These bran muffins are pretty fail-proof and turn out perfectly fluffy every time! A couple of easy tips to keep in mind:
- Ensure all of your ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
- Be sure to toss the raisins with the flour mixture, this helps keep them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- This recipe calls for wheat bran which is found near the flour in the grocery store. This recipe doesn’t use bran cereal.
- Nuts or chocolate chips can be added in (or dried cranberries can be substituted for raisins).
- Do not overmix your batter, overmixing will cause your muffins to be dense and chewy.
- Store at room temperature in a sealed container.
- Heat before serving (we microwave 30 seconds) to keep them soft.
These raisin bran muffins are definitely the best bran muffins we’ve ever had and once you try them, they’ll definitely become a regular in your rotation too!
EASY BRAN MUFFINS
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas (3 small)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Whisk together. Stir in raisins.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, bananas, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients. Add egg mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
This recipe has been sponsored by the Alberta Wheat Commission’s Life’s Simple Ingredient campaign. While I was compensated for this post, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Working with great brands I love allows me to keep bringing you the great recipes you love!