Dill & Butter Peas make a colorful side dish with sweet & tender summery flavors!
This dish is a simple yet versatile recipe that pairs well with almost any summer entree.
PEAS Peas are actually a type of bean with edible seeds (and sometimes an edible pod). This pretty side dish has a combo of crisp snap peas or snow peas (see the differences here) and frozen (or fresh) English peas. You can use just one or the other if it’s all you have on hand.
SEASONINGS Lemon and dill give butter peas a bright and zesty flavor that really makes them shine.
- Garnish peas with toasted pine nuts, or add diced carrots for even more colorful flavor.
- Add some mint and garlic or other favorite herbs from the garden.
- Green peas are great with onions that have been sauteed in butter.
Kitchen Tip: If using snow peas, you’ll want to remove the tough stem that is usually left at the tip of the pod and pull off the string.
How to Make Butter Dill Peas
- Cook frozen peas in broth or water (per the recipe below).
- Add sugar snap peas or snow peas & butter, cook just until tender-crisp.
- Stir in lemon juice, heat. Remove from the stovetop, toss with fresh dill and salt, & serve.
What Goes With Butter Peas?
It’s definitely not hard to find entrees that work well with a versatile side dish like butter peas.
They go great with anything from Scallops to Round Steak and Mushrooms. They are great with ethnic-styled foods like Soy Ginger Steak Bites or hometown favorites like Mini Chicken Meatloaf. Try it with Cheesy Chicken & Potato Casserole or have it alongside Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Leftover butter peas will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Add leftovers to soup, or top a salad with leftover peas. They can be frozen indefinitely, but like all vegetables that have been cooked and then frozen, they taste best when used within two months.
Best Buttery Side Dishes
- Buttery Glazed Carrots – ready in 25 minutes
- Garlic Butter Swiss Chard – healthy & colorful
- Buttered Dill Peas and Carrots – so easy to make
- Buttery Stuffed Artichokes – with a Panko topping
- Garlic Butter Air Fryer Mushrooms – 20 minute cook time
Did your family like these Butter Peas? Leave us a rating or a comment below!
Dill & Butter Peas
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add green peas and water to a medium skillet. Cover and cook over medium high heat 3 minutes or until peas are thawed.
- Add butter and snap peas. Cook uncovered 4-5 minutes or until snap peas are tender crisp. Stir in lemon juice and cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat and toss with fresh dill. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!