Buttery Peas and Carrots are one of those classic side dishes that never goes out of style!
Sometimes the best dishes are the simple ones. Tendergreen peas and sweet carrots are cooked with just a hint of dill, then tossed in butter for a quick side dish that goes great with anything!
We love any recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to prepare
VEGETABLES For this recipe, we use frozen peas but fresh works as well. If using fresh, they’ll need to be boiled for about 6 minutes before adding to the pan. If using baby carrots in place of whole carrots, cut them in half lengthwise.
SEASONING Dried dill makes this easy since I often have it on hand. If using fresh dill, sprinkle in just before serving.
BUTTER Butter, salt & pepper make everything better.
- For more color, add canned or frozen corn when cooking the peas.
- Mix in cooked long-grain brown rice for a heartier side.
- Frozen diced potatoes can be added to peas & carrots as well!
- To make a creamy peas and carrots casserole, add a bit of heavy cream with the peas.
What to Serve With
Butter peas and carrots are easy enough for every day, but especially great on the holiday table alongside ham with brown sugar glaze or honey baked ham.
- Buttery peas and carrots make great leftovers! Keep them in the refrigerator up to 3 days in a covered container and reheat in the microwave. Since these aren’t sweetened, leftovers can be added to a soup, stew, or stir fry!
- To freeze leftovers, place them in a zippered bag labeled with the date on the outside and they will keep in the freezer up to 6 weeks
Savory Side Dishes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Carrots – so easy to make
- Buttery Stuffed Artichokes – with Panko breading
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts – ready in 30 minutes
- Creamy Asparagus – stovetop version
- Green Peas with Bacon – use frozen or canned peas
- Steamed Carrots – freezer friendly
- Roasted Broccoli and Carrots – savory & delicious
- Dill & Butter Peas – full of fresh dill
Did you make these Buttery Peas and Carrots? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Buttered Dill Peas and Carrots
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Peel carrots and cut into ¼" slices.
- Cook carrots in olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until just tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add peas, dried dill and 1 tablespoon water. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes or until peas are heated through.
- Add butter and toss well. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Peas and carrots was great we enjoyed. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’ll make it again it’s a keeper
We love this recipe too, glad you enjoyed it!
Fantastic, thank you !
Glad you enjoyed it, John!
To dress up this recipe, serve around a whole head of cauliflower topped with browned breadcrumbs in butter. My mom always made this recipe for holidays or Sunday dinners! It looks so pretty on a platter