Don’t wait for McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes, when you can make this copycat recipe at home all year long!
A Shamrock Shake is a creamy minty milkshake — and now you don’t need to “get them while they last” because you can make your own!
What is a Shamrock Shake?
Shamrock shakes were first introduced to the public in 1970 by McDonald’s and they quickly became an annual holiday must-have.
This milkshake is sweet and creamy, minty (think chocolate chip mint ice cream without the chips), and just the right shade of green. They usually come out late February on McDonald’s menus for a limited time about 3 weeks before St. Patrick’s Day.
Now, you can make your own at home!
Shamrock shakes only take 4 ingredients and 1 step, but the add-ins and toppings are endless!
DAIRY The traditional recipe is made up of vanilla ice cream and milk, and it comes with optional whipped cream.
For a healthy-ish version, use vanilla frozen yogurt and swap the liquid for fat-free milk, and omit the whipped cream. The results will still have that bright mint flavor. Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and no one will know they’ve got a little nutrition in them!
FLAVORING Peppermint extract is made from pure peppermint and mint extract is a combination of both spearmint and peppermint. Either will do, but full peppermint extract is preferred.
COLOR Green food coloring adds color and really puts the shamrock in the shake!
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
This super easy St. Patrick’s Day treat is festive and delicious!
Make this recipe the same way you’d make a milkshake. Simply combine all ingredients (per recipe below) in a blender until smooth.
Make it Boozy
Spike this favorite with a splash of alcohol for a boozy treat! Mix in one of the following:
- creme de menthe (you may want to reduce the mint extract)
- Baileys Irish cream
- peppermint schnapps
Top o’ the Morning Toppings
- Add generous amounts of whipped cream, green sprinkling sugar, and maybe some mini chocolate chips.
- Make chocolate shamrock shakes by adding chocolate syrup
- Green food gel coloring will work, but because shamrock shakes are a paler shade of green, a few drops of green food coloring will work the same.
More Minty Favorites
- Peppermint Brownies
- Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars
- Homemade Peppermint Bark
- Chocolate Mint Oreo Mousse
- Mint Oreo Fudge Ice Cream Cake
- Ritz Cracker Thin Mints
Did you enjoy these Shamrock Shakes? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Copycat Shamrock Shake Recipe
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract or more to taste
- green food coloring
- toppings like whipped cream, cherries, & sprinkles for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish as desired and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!