Are you looking for an easy-to-make recipe that’s perfect for chilly days?
This hearty chicken taco soup recipe is packed with chunks of lean chicken, corn, beans, and other vegetables, along with just the right amount of kick from taco seasoning.
Filling and nutritious, it’s also incredibly quick and easy to make.
Tasty Taco Soup
- Packed with protein and fiber from beans, corn, and chicken, as well as other tasty veggies, this soup is a flavorful way to fuel your body.
- It’s delicious with a flavorful broth and a little kick that will satisfy your cravings.
- This recipe is versatile; you can add corn flour to make the broth thicker and heartier, or skip the beans and corn to make it keto-friendly.
- This soup is quick and easy to make, ready to eat in just 35 minutes!
Ingredients for Chicken Taco Soup
Chicken – The best results come from using bite-sized chunks of skinless, boneless chicken breast. However, shredded cooked chicken, ground beef or chicken, or chicken thighs also work if that’s what you have on hand.
Vegetables – To make things easy, this soup uses canned crushed tomatoes, black beans, and frozen corn. Addin other favorites like red bell peppers
Seasoning – To give this soup the right kick of heat, use a packet of taco seasoning or try homemade taco seasoning or fajita seasoning for a little sweetness. Up the spice with dice jalapenos, or add in your own favorite seasonings like chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, or chipotle powder.
Toppings – Put the finishing touch on taco bowl of soup with crumbled tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream, or shredded cheddar and fresh lime wedges. A garnish of chopped fresh cilantro, jalapenos, or diced tomatoes will add a pop of color and flavor.
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
This soup is quick and easy with these simple steps.
- Saute the onion & garlic in oil. (per recipe below)
- Add the rest of the ingredients & simmer for 15 minutes.
- For a thicker broth you can stir in a cornstarch slurry but I don’t usually need it.
Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
What to Serve With Chicken Taco Soup
Looking for some serving ideas for this chicken taco soup? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Garnish your soup with crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Serve the soup with warm tortillas or fresh cornbread on the side.
- For a heartier meal, top your soup with avocado slices or chunks, or add a side salad to round out the dish.
Storing Taco Soup
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Simply reheat and enjoy for a quick and easy meal anytime.
More TexMex Inspired Soups
Did your family love this Chicken Taco Soup recipe? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onions approx. 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package taco seasoning mix or 3 tablespoons homemade
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onions, and bell peppers, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add chicken, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, frozen corn, black beans, and taco seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Taste the soup and season with salt if desired.
- This soup is versatile, so feel free to add your favorite vegetables to the mix, or adjust the seasoning to suit your taste.
- You can use shredded cooked chicken instead of bite-sized chunks for an even quicker prep time.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This soup is amazing. Best Taco soup recipe I’ve ever tried. My family is wild over it. A very Thank You for this one.
I doubled this recipe so that there was enough to take to my sick daughter-in-law and her family the next day. The soup was delicious. Even my adult daughter who is a fussy eater enjoyed a bowlful. If you like Taco’s, you will enjoy this soup. I served it with garlic bread and it was a satisfying meal.
Can this be done in the crockpot and if so how would you do it and for how long?
I haven’t tried this recipe in the Crock Pot, but I have this Crock Pot Tortilla Soup which is similar. I hope this helps Cindy.
This was really good and quite easy. I had all the ingredients. Used a combination of boneless chicken breasts and thighs. Also had a carton of Progresso spicy chicken broth. The recipe lends itself to use varying amounts of the ingredients, i.e. I used the entire 28oz. Can of crushed tomatoes which is what I had. I added them gradually to be sure. Didn’t drain/rinse the black beans as they were a seasoned can. My husband said it was even better the second day.
am I missing the corn flour in the directions and ingredient list? looks yummy though
Sorry for the confusion, the corn flour/cornstarch is only needed if you’d like to thicken the broth further. I don’t usually find I need it.
This was quick and easy. I had most of the ingredients on hand. I used Rotel because I didn’t have green pepper and crushed tomatoes. It was delicious. I was kind of panicking about adding the chicken in raw but it cooked perfectly.
I’m so glad you loved it Adela! Cooking the chicken right in the soup saves a step and flavors the broth!
Awesome easy recipe. I like mine spicy and added more taco seasoning
I tried the Beef Barley soup. Was very good.
thank you so much your blog is very helpful nice posts please share sum new idea and cooking easy tips for dal tadka Making daily cooking quick, easy & effortless, while making sure the food is super fresh & Healthy. With Kwik Foods.
Made this soup tonight and it was excellent! I did use 2 1/2 cups of chickent broth and I didn’t have corn flower so I added polenta. It was delicious! Definitely will make it again. TY
Please list your carb count. I cannot cook anything without knowing the carbs my husband is a diabetic.
Ann, you should see it now! Thank you for visiting Spend With Pennies!
This looks delicious! One question–do you cook the chicken breasts before adding them to the pot?
You put the chicken in uncooked Libby. Enjoy!
Thank you so much! :)
OMG we totally need this in our dinner rotation for sure!!
Love that the soup starts by sautéing garlic! Such a great ingredient. :)
This looks to die for and so easy!
We are also huge Mexican food fans ! And will be making your Chicken Taco soup soon as Autumn has just hit us in South-Africa :-)
I really must get round to making something like this, Mexican flavours and influences are really rare over here in Europe, but they do sound so good.
is that a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatos? How much crushed
tomatoes are used for this recipe? Thanks.
Connie, it’s a 14 oz can.