Chicken Taquitos made at home are an easy snack or dinner. Corn tortillas are filled with seasoned chicken and cheese and rolled up tightly. These are cooked until crisp and can be fried, baked or even cooked in an air fryer.
These tasty Mexican-style treats are quick to make and yummy to eat!
This recipe makes it easy to prepare homemade chicken taquitos. They can be frozen in batches (before or after cooking) and warmed up for a quick meal. Try them with your favorite cream cheese dip to add extra creaminess! Or make buffalo chicken taquitos for a spicy flavor combination.
Corn or Flour Tortillas?
Taquitos are traditionally made with corn tortillas but honestly, corn and flour tortillas can work. You’ll want to choose small (6″ or less) tortillas for this recipe.
Corn and flour tortillas have completely different textures (and flavors).
- Corn has that unmistakable savory corn flavor and a slightly chewier texture. They can be a bit harder to work with but heating them slightly will help keep them from cracking.
- Flour tortillas will make a slightly softer taquito and allow the taste of the filling and dip to really stand out.
How To Make Chicken Taquitos
It’s super quick and easy to pull this recipe together. Make a double batch and freeze half to save time during the week!
- Combine shredded chicken, cheese and drained salsa. Add taco seasoning or fajita seasoning for flavor!
- Soften tortillas and spread filling on each before rolling tightly, leaving both ends open.
- Bake or fry according to recipe directions, and serve piping hot!
Feel free to substitute beef for chicken and create your own homemade taco seasoning, as well!
Fried, Baked or Air Fryer
When it comes to taquitos, you can cook ’em however you’d like! Of course frying give a nice crispy crust but they work well in the oven or air fryer.
- FRIED Heat about 1″ of oil and fry taquitos seam side down. The shallow oil helps ensure they don’t come unrolled. Turn every couple of minutes until crisp all around.
- BAKED Generously oil the outside of the taquitos or spray with cooking spray. Bake at 425°F for about 15-20 minutes or until browned.
- AIR FRYER Spray taquitos with cooking spray or brush with oil. Place in a single layer and airfry at 400°F for about 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Repeat with remaining taquitos keeping in mind remaining batches may need a minute or two less.
No matter what you serve, these are going to be delicious!
Can You Freeze Chicken Taquitos?
Chicken taquitos are perfect for freezing! After all, most people buy them in packages in the frozen foods aisle, so why not create your own, homemade? They taste so much better and are healthier, too.
- Bake them for less time (approximately 10-12 minutes) if freezing, so they don’t overcook when reheating.
- Place taquitos on a flat tray and freeze for a couple of hours.
- Once they are solid enough, transfer them to a freezer bag and seal tightly, squeezing out the air. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Chicken taquitos eaten fresh or warmed up from frozen are a treat that’s great to eat any time of the day!
Classic Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Quick Chicken Tacos – easy to prepare!
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Quesadillas – baked or grilled
- Slow Cooker Beef Burritos
- Mexican Corn Dip – loaded with veggies!
- Chicken Street Tacos
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 cups chicken or pork or beef, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup oil for frying or to brush with
- Place salsa in a fine strainer and let any juices drip away.
- Combine chicken, salsa, cheese and taco seasoning.
- Place tortillas on a plate, top with a damp paper towel and microwave 40 seconds or until warm.
- Place 2 tablespoons filling on each tortilla and roll tightly. Secure with a toothpick and place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush each taquito with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until crisp.
- Preheat oil over medium-high heat (350°F).
- Panfry taquitos until crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.