Chicken Quesadillas are a great meal; quick, easy and the perfect way to use leftover chicken!
This recipe combines cooked chicken and cheese with seasoning and veggies! Simply tuck your favorite ingredients into a tortilla and pan fry until melted and crisp!
Ingredients (and Variations)
Easy to find ingredients make up the base of a Quesadilla (you probably have most of it on hand).
- Chicken – Cooked chicken breast or shredded chicken makes this extra easy. Leftover chicken will work for this recipe from baked chicken to chicken thighs. You can also use diced chicken breast.
- Cheese – Use your favorite, 3 cheese, Tex Mex, Jalapeno Jack, Nacho… or a combination. For most recipes using melted cheese I suggest shredding your own but pre-shredded works just fine in this recipe!
- Seasoning – A combination of fajita seasoning or taco seasoning adds lots of lavor to quesadillas! Extra salsa can be added instead, be sure to cook out the liquid so your quesadillas don’t get soggy.
- Veggies – Peppers, onions, spices (all the same things we add to chicken fajitas are great in quesadillas).
How To Cook Chicken For Quesadillas
Dice chicken into small pieces and panfry with a touch of oil, salt and pepper and seasonings (this is the same way I prepare chicken for tacos). *Tip: Cut chicken while still slightly frozen, it is so much easier!
Use any type of leftover chicken (or beef/pork) and either chop or shred.
How To Make Chicken Quesadillas
- If using veggies, cook until tender. Prepare chicken with seasonings (per recipe below).
- Top each tortilla with a generous portion of cheese and a scoop of the chicken and veggies if using.
- Fold in half and panfry or bake until crisp and the cheese is melted.
Easy right? Once cooked, allow to cool a few minutes so the cheese doesn’t leak out.
Reheating Chicken Quesadillas
These can be reheated in the microwave but the tortilla will get soft. To keep the tortilla crisp, reheating in the oven/toaster oven at 375°F for about 10 minutes or on medium-low in a non-stick skillet.
More South of the Border Faves
No matter what I am serving I always have an assortment of toppings to go with it! Some of my favorites include a restaurant-style salsa, a classic Pico de Gallo, guacamole, or this delicious pineapple guacamole which is amazing on chicken!
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra as needed
- 1 small bell pepper red or green
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or fajita seasoning
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese or mexican blend, shredded
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook onions 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add bell peppers and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, seasoning and 1/4 cup water. Simmer 3-4 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Lay out the tortillas and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese on one half of the tortilla. Add 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Fold half of the tortilla over the filling. Brush the outside of each tortilla with olive oil.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat (or a griddle). Lightly brown each quesadillas 3-4 minutes per side or until golden and cheese is melted.
- Cool 2-3 minutes and cut each tortilla into 3 pieces.
Cut two boneless chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Season with salt & pepper and cook over medium heat until no pink remains. Proceed with recipe as directed. To Bake Quesadillas for a Crowd
Prepare as directed. Brush each quesadilla with olive oil on each side. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 8-12 minutes or until cheese has melted and tortillas are crisp.