Sauteed Brussel Sprouts are finally taking their place in the side dish spotlight because they are so elegant and easy to prepare.
There’s no need to boil brussels sprouts in water anymore when you can make these easy sauteed brussel sprouts, Roasted Brussel Sprouts or even a fresh and crisp Brussel Sprout Salad! And for low carb fans and Keto followers, a whole cup of brussel sprouts has only 8 grams of carbohydrates! Who wouldn’t want to include these green beauties on the menu?
How to Trim Brussel Sprouts
If you’ve never seen Brussel sprouts grow before, they grow sticking out of a huge stalk (kind of like thorns on a rose stem). Using a sharp knife, slice across the base of the sprout to remove it from the stalk or just simply break it off.
Most of the time in the store, you’ll find brussel sprouts already removed from the stalk. I always slice off the tough bottom portion of the sprout. Brussel sprouts will retain their shape even if they are cut into quarters, wedges or coins due to their tightly packed leaves. For this recipe I cut them into halves from top to bottom (or thirds if they happen to be large).
How to Clean Brussel Sprouts: A simple rinse off of the outside to remove any surface dirt will do. Remove any leaves that are bruised, discolored or torn. Pat dry with a paper towel and store in the fridge until ready to use.
How to Make Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprouts can be steamed, boiled, roasted and of course sauteed! These sauteed brussel sprouts are a super easy way to get cooking
- Clean brussels sprouts and remove any discolored leaves.
- Heat oil (or bacon grease if you prefer) in a skillet.
- Add the brussel sprouts, salt and pepper. Cook 6-8 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (and a squeeze of lemon if you like).
For a heartier version, try sauteed brussel sprouts with bacon or add a splash of vinegar for balsamic brussel sprouts. The mild flavor of brussel sprouts can be paired with nearly anything, even melted cheese!
More Easy Sides You’ll Love
- Roasted Carrots
- Easy Baked Zucchini
- Simple Roasted Beets
- Easy Roasted Cauliflower
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan cheese shredded (optional)
- Slice brussel sprouts in half from top to bottom (or thirds if large).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add brussel sprouts, salt and pepper.
- Cook sprouts 6-8 minutes or until tender crisp, stirring occasionally. (Don't stir too much, you want them to brown and caramelize on each side).
- Remove from heat, toss with butter and parmesan cheese if using.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!