Chicken Burrito Bowls are a healthy crowd pleasing favorite! Tender chunks of chicken are dressed in a zesty taco lime seasoning with black beans and rice. Add in cilantro for a fresh and peppery kick and your favorite toppings like salsa and guacamole!
What Is A Burrito Bowl?
The word “burrito” literally means “little donkey.” It makes sense because even though donkeys are so small they can carry loads of good stuff, just like these burrito bowls! Packed with all kinds of energizing ingredients like rice, beans, chicken, and avocado, burrito bowls are so versatile and yummy. You can put pretty much whatever you like in them!
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
- Season diced chicken (per recipe below) and cook in a pan. Squeeze lime overtop.
- Chop veggies, wash lettuce and prep your favorite toppings.
- Place some lettuce in a bowl, top with a scoop of rice and layer on your toppings!
TIP: Chicken breasts are easier to dice when slightly frozen. If they’re frozen, dice them once partially defrosted. If they’re fresh, put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes before dicing.
What To Add To A Chicken Burrito Bowl
You don’t have to limit yourself. There are so many different options! For a really fun and special supper, let your family create their own burrito bowls by having a colorful array of choices all set out on the counter.
- Sauces: Try sour cream, chipotle mayo, hot or mild guacamole, or Pico de Gallo. The choices are limitless.
- Veggies: Add green onions, chopped red onion, chives, hot and sweet peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes!
- Cheese: Set out a few different kinds of shredded cheeses like jalapeno cheddar, nacho, Monterey Jack, or Tex-Mex!
Baked tortilla bowls make yummy and easy edible dishes! Brush a soft tortilla with oil, press it into a round baking dish (or a tortilla bowl maker) and bake until crispy, about 10 minutes! Repeat until you have enough bowls ready for everyone!
Make in Advance/Meal Prep
Cooked chicken, rice, and beans keep for 3 to four days in the fridge, and 2 to 3 months in the freezer. Fill meal prep containers and freeze or refrigerate for quick lunches!
If you want to assemble this dish as a one pot meal in advance, just mix the meat, rice and beans together, and add the other ingredients after reheating.
Any way you choose to mix it up, Chicken Burrito Bowls are always going to be a healthy hit, whether for lunches, dinners, or parties!
More South of the Border Favorites
- Easy Chicken Fajitas – great weeknight meal
- Slow Cooker Beef Burritos – just set it and forget it
- Fish Tacos – an easy family favorite
- Cheesy Bean Burritos – freezer friendly
- Shrimp Tacos – ready in under 30 mins!
- Cheesy Oven Baked Tacos – perfect for feeding a crowd!
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless, 1/2 inch diced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 cups white rice cooked
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 4 cups lettuce chopped
- Combine diced chicken breast and taco seasoning and toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12" skillet. Add the chicken and cook until no pink remains. Sprinkle with lime juice, stir, and remove from heat.
- Combine cooked rice and cilantro in a bowl and stir to combine.
- To serve, fill 4 bowls with equal amounts of lettuce, rice, black beans, chicken, salsa, sour cream, avocado, and cheese.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)