Frito Taco Salad is quickly making a name for itself as a hearty, tasty, crunchy meal that’s easy to make and super fun to eat! Our go-to taco salad is paired with our fave corn chips for a delicious crunch!
Top with fresh veggies, sour cream and your choice of toppings like homemade salsa or the best guacamole.
Instead of making a batch of loaded nachos, load up on fresh veggies with this super easy salad recipe and get all the ooh’s and aah’s from family and friends!
Building a Frito Salad
Taco salad ingredients are the same as what you’d put in a regular ground beef taco, but served over a bed of lettuce instead of in a taco shell. Make individual salads or assemble and serve a Frito taco salad bar and let everyone build their own! Assemble the base and let people choose their favorite dressing and add-ins!
- Base: ground beef, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheddar, Fritos corn chips
- Dressing: salsa, Catalina dressing, avocado dressing, buttermilk ranch dressing, or blue cheese dressing.
- Add-Ins: peppers, onions, jalapenos, green chiles, black olives, sour cream, guacamole, or lime wedges.
How to Make Frito Taco Salad
You can make individual servings or like a Dorito Taco Salad, this is also a great dish to serve at a potluck or party! Just cook the meat mixture, assemble and serve!
- Brown beef until fully cooked and drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning) and water and simmer until thickened.
- Top shredded lettuce with meat mixture and remaining ingredients.
You can toss with your desired dressing or serve dry and let guests choose their own dressing! Once dressed, add extra corn chips and dive in!
What Goes with Frito Taco Salad
This salad definitely stands on its own, but a citrusy side like orange wedges or a bright, flavorful lemonade drink are crowd-pleasers for sure!
More Yummy Taco Inspired Recipes
- Taco Soup – ideal weeknight meal!
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – great to set and forget!
- Beef Taco Pasta Skillet – 30 min meal
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole – a family favorite
- 5 Minute Taco Dip – perfect taco inspired appetizer!
Frito Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning or homemade
- 6 cups iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups Frito corn chips
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup Catalina dressing or to taste
- toppings as desired peppers, onions, jalapenos, sour cream
- Brown beef over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add taco seasoning and ½ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Top with meat, tomatoes, cheese, 1 cup of Frito corn chips, salsa and desired toppings.
- Add dressing and toss well. Top with remaining corn chips. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Delicious. Because I wanted it to be a bit more substantial for dinner, I did add black beans to the ground beef while it was cooking. I also added some corn, avocados, and sliced red onions. This is a very versatile salad, I imagine you could just throw anything you love into it. Thanks!
I’ve made a version of this salad for 20plus years. Instead of the beef-i use red kidney beans(drain the juices)-no salsa or taco seasoning , but, catalina dressing and a chopped red onion. SO Delicious!!
That sounds delicious, Karen. Thanks for sharing!
We’re having this Taco salad for supper Thank you.
You’re welcome Judith!
This by far is the best taco salad I have made. Will definitely be making this again.
They all looks delicious
Really great soups for cold days ahead. Ive been looking for a good Taco Salad, but forgot what my Mom used in her Frito Taco Salad.Thanks for listing Catalina dressing. I had totally forgotten it.
You’re welcome Judi, enjoy the recipe!
Your recipes are sooo tasty!!!!! Awesome!!
This is a delicious and filling salad. For the dressing, I like to combine ranch and salsa, it’s so good with taco salad.
Ranch and salsa is a great dressing idea!
I love ur recipes
Never wanted to cook until I saw one of her recipes love her
would like to print receipe.
Hi Jeannie, to print this recipe you can scroll towards the bottom of the page or use the jump to recipe button at the top to view the recipe. Then there is a “print recipe” button just above the ingredients list.
I made the Doritos taco salad and we loved it simple and easy and something different
So happy you enjoyed it Deborah!
Been making this for years!! My family just loves it!
A Real Texan.
Glad your family enjoyed it Nancy!
ziet er allemaal lekker uit dus wil eens wat proberen
Can’t wait for you to try our recipes, Rob! Hope you enjoy them :)
Your recipes look delicious can’t wait to try them thanks
Can’t wait to try this
I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes.
Hi Holly! I tried this recipe and my husband and I absolutely LOVED it! (as well as the Dorito Taco Salad). I did add a half can of pinto beans, drained & rinsed but that was the only addition. It is sooo good! We used Catalina dressing and it was perfect! I love your website and recipes. You are just as cute as a button! and a great photographer! I wish you much success.
Aww Grammasue, thank you so much for the lovely compliments! You’ve made my day!