Ham Casserole is one of those yummy cheesy dishes that just scream home-cooked comfort. This casserole is made with ham and pasta tossed in a creamy cheesy sauce (much like a mac and cheese)!
This is a great dish to make that leftover ham stretch to satisfy a crowd. Add in broccoli or leftover veggies!
Ingredients in Ham Casserole
- Ham: Use leftover diced ham or you can purchase ham steaks at the grocery store.
- Pasta: Any medium shape works. Try rotini, farfalle, shells, or penne.
- Sauce: The sauce is homemade but doesn’t take that long. A little thyme and Dijon are the perfect addition to this leftover ham casserole .
- Cheese: With 3 types of cheese (cheddar, gruyere and parmesan cheeses) this is a tasty dish. You can use whatever cheeses you have on hand but you’ll want to ensure one has a bit of a sharper flavor.
Finally, a topping of buttered Panko bread crumbs with cheese provides some welcome crunch-appeal.
Substitute to your heart’s content with the cheeses and pasta! Any kind of pasta will work for ham noodle casserole. Shells are my favorite, they cup and hold the cheese sauce!
How to Make Ham Casserole
Pre-shredded cheese can have starches added to keep it from clumping so it may not melt as well. For this sauce, it’s best to shred your own cheese.
Prep & Bake
- Melt butter in a large pot. Whisk in flour and cook for about a minute (per recipe below). Slowly whisking in the milk and to thicken. Add cheese until creamy.
- Combine cheese sauce, ham and pasta in a casserole dish.
- Top with crumb topping.
Bake until bubbly and the top is browned and crisp.
Ham and cheese casserole is creamy stick-to-your-ribs rich with salt from the ham and cheese. Look for a side dish that is light, fresh and sweet or tangy.
More Cheesy Casseroles
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – a show stopper
- Baked Jalapeño Mac & Cheese
- Homemade Chicken Spaghetti – From scratch
- Classic Stuffed Shells Recipe
- Easy Homemade Lasagna – Family favorite recipe.
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham – Great for leftovers
- 3 Cheese Cavatappi
- Easy Baked Mostaccioli
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Supreme Pizza Casserole
- 1 pound medium shells
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 1 cup light cream 10-12% M.F.
- ½ teaspoon dijon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups sharp cheddar divided
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix together topping ingredients, set aside.
- Cook shells al dente according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter, flour and seasonings in a saucepan. Allow to cook 1 minute.
- Slowly add in cream and milk while whisking after each addition. The mixture will seem thick at first but will smooth out with each addition.
- Once all of the cream/milk is added, whisk while bringing to a boil over medium heat. Allow to boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 ½ cups cheddar, gruyere cheese, and parmesan until smooth.
- Mix cheese sauce with cooked pasta and ham and place in a 9x13 pan. Add topping and remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake 22-26 minutes or until heated through and topping is browned. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)