This Roasted Broccoli recipe is so easy to prepare. Most home chefs steam or stir-fry broccoli but oven roasted broccoli makes it perfectly tender-crisp and just barely browned on the outside adding a new dimension of flavor.
How to Roast Broccoli
To make roasted broccoli:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash and dry broccoli thoroughly, then cut into uniform pieces.
- Toss with olive oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper (or whatever seasoning you prefer, seasoned salt is delicious too.)
- Bake for 10 minutes and then flip pieces over and bake another 5-10 minutes or until broccoli is golden brown and crispy!
How long does broccoli take to roast? As long as the pieces are uniform, it shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes if the oven is already preheated and ready to go.
If you’re cooking another dish in the oven, roasted broccoli temperature is pretty versatile. Keep in mind that a higher temp gives more brown bits = more flavor.
Tips for Roasted Broccoli
- Keep It Dry: If your broccoli is wet (from washing) it will steam instead of roasting. Make sure it’s very dry before you roast (I even wash the day before or when I bring groceries home if I know I’ll be roasting it).
- High Heat: Having the oven at a high temperature helps caramelize the broccoli making for the best flavor!
- Season Well: Add olive oil and seasonings before cooking. I like the simplicity of salt & pepper but add in your favorite spice mixes to make it your own!
- Cheese Please: Few things go with broccoli better than cheese! We add a sprinkle of parmesan (but any finely shredded cheese will work) and broil it for about 1 minute before serving.
Using Frozen Broccoli
Technically you can roast BUT… it does not crisp quite the same way (fresh really works best in this recipe)!
Tips for Frozen Broccoli: Be sure that the broccoli is fully thawed and pat dry with a paper towel so it doesn’t get mushy in the oven. Roasted frozen broccoli cooks best when all the pieces are uniform in size and you can buy them already cut in boxes or bags in the freezer section of your local supermarket.
Cook at a very high temperature or even broil it instead, the broccoli is already soft, you’re just looking to get some brown color on it.
More Roasted Veggies
- Roasted Green Beans – super easy
- Roasted Tomatoes – my favorite!
- Easy Roasted Beets – colorful and healthy
- Roasted Carrots – tender and delicious
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – so easy
- Favorite Roasted Cauliflower
Roasted broccoli and cauliflower is a healthy alternative to potatoes, and kids really like the colorful mix of green and white! So why not get creative with seasonings and spices and get roasting! Garlic roasted broccoli is super delicious with a sprinkle of garlic powder!
- 1 head broccoli
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chop broccoli into bite sized florets.
- Place broccoli florets on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until broccoli is tender crisp. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.