Cheesy Broccoli Casserole is going to be your family’s new favorite side dish! Tender broccoli florets are smothered in an easy cheese sauce and topped with buttery crumbs. Bake until golden and bubbly!
Ingredients in Broccoli Casserole
- Fresh broccoli best in this recipe
- Boil or steam broccoli just until tender crisp (do not overcook or your casserole will be soggy)
- Frozen broccoli can be used in place of fresh but the casserole will be softer (defrost first)
- Whether using fresh or frozen, drain very well to keep the sauce from getting watery.
- Cheese sauce can be made with any cheese you’d like
- Dry mustard adds a bit of depth, if you don’t have any, add a small dash of Worcestershire or dijon mustard
- Buttery round crackers can be replaced with any kind of crackers
- Panko bread crumbs can be used, add a bit of extra butter to the topping
How to Make Broccoli Casserole
This casserole is as easy as 1,2,3!
- Boil or steam broccoli until tender crisp.
- Make the homemade cheese sauce (per recipe below) and toss with broccoli.
- Top with buttery crumbs and bake until golden and bubbly.
You can swap out other veggies (cauliflower or asparagus) for some or all of the broccoli. Add in ham or leftover Chicken Breasts to make this a main dish.
Pasta or rice are great additions but do soak up some of the sauce so if you’re adding rice, I’d suggest using a Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe to get the best ratios.
To Make Ahead of Time
Prepare as directed keeping the topping in a separate container. Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours.
To bake remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking and don’t put the crumb mixture on top. Bake 15 minutes and stir. Add crumb mixture and bake an additional 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. You may need to add up to an additional 10 minutes to heat through.
Leftover Broccoli Casserole
To reheat broccoli casserole, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees. In the microwave reheat until heated through (the crumb may not stay as crisp this way).
As the cheese sauce is homemade, I would not recommend freezing this dish as dairy can change consistency when frozen.
More Broccoli Faves
- Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw – great for potlucks!
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – a quick side dish
- How to Steam Broccoli – super easy!
- Beef and Broccoli – a delicious entree
- Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup – comfort food at its finest
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli* cut into bite sized pieces (approx. 10 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup buttery crackers coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup cheddar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil broccoli in a large pot for 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain very well.
- In a saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Add in flour, salt & dry mustard, allow to cook 1 minute.
- Add milk a little bit at a time whisking after each addition until smooth. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir cream cheese until smooth.
Remove from heat and add in cheddar and parmesan cheeses. Toss with broccoli and pour into a 3qt baking dish.
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over broccoli cheese mixture. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)