This Cheesy Broccoli Casserole is made from scratch with tender broccoli florets, an easy cheese sauce, and a buttery crumbs topping.
- Fresh broccoli best in this recipe
- Boil or steam broccoli just until tender-crisp (do not overcook)
- Frozen broccoli can be used in place of fresh but the casserole will be softer (defrost first)
- Whether using fresh or frozen, drain very well to keep the sauce from getting watery.
- Cheese sauce can be made with any cheese you’d like
- Dry mustard adds a bit of depth, if you don’t have any, add a small dash of Worcestershire or dijon mustard
- Buttery round crackers (like Ritz) can be replaced with any kind of crackers or even chips
- Panko bread crumbs can be used, add a bit of extra butter to the topping
You can swap out other veggies (cauliflower or asparagus) for some or all of the broccoli. Add in ham or leftover Chicken Breasts to make this a main dish.
Pasta or rice are great additions but do soak up some of the sauce so if you’re adding rice, I’d suggest using a Broccoli Rice Casserole or Broccoli and Cheese Casserole recipe to get the best ratios.
How to Make Broccoli Casserole
This casserole is as easy as 1,2,3!
- Boil or steam broccoli until tender-crisp.
- Prepare the cheese sauce (per recipe below).
- Toss with broccoli.
- Top with buttery crumbs and bake until golden and bubbly.
To Make Ahead of Time
Prepare as directed keeping the topping in a separate container. Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours.
To bake remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Bake 15 minutes and stir. Add crumb mixture and bake an additional 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. You may need to add up to an additional 10 minutes to heat through.
To reheat broccoli casserole, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees.
In the microwave (without foil of course) reheat until heated through. The crumbs won’t be as crisp in the microwave.
More Broccoli Faves
- Broccoli Rice Casserole from Scratch
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw – great for potlucks!
- Broccoli Salad
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – a quick side dish
- Quick Broccoli and Cheese
- Crispy Garlic Air Fryer Broccoli – ready in under 15 mins!
Did you enjoy this Cheesy Broccoli Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces (approx. 10 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium onion diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup buttery crackers coarsely crushed
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil broccoli in a large pot for 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain very well.
- In a saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Add in flour, dry mustard, and salt. Allow to cook 1 minute.
- Add milk a little bit at a time whisking after each addition until smooth. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Stir in cream cheese until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add in cheddar and parmesan cheeses. Toss with broccoli and pour into a 3qt baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over broccoli cheese mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!