Cauliflower has really stepped into its own as a front and center vegetable!
Loaded with fiber and antioxidants, cauliflower is a family favorite veggie around here! This steamed cauliflower recipe is made on the stove in only a few minutes!
Favorite Steamed Veggie
We love this recipe because it’s easy to make, and super healthy!
Frozen cauliflower florets can be steamed as well. Once it’s steamed, cauliflower can be added to so many things or topped with cheese sauce!
Steamed cauliflower is a healthy, filling, and tasty alternative to potatoes and rice! And cauliflower with broccoli is perfect either roasted or steamed.
How to Steam Cauliflower
To steam cauliflower, you’ll want a steaming basket. You can find them at almost any grocery store or online and they can be metal or even silicone.
- Place cauliflower in a steam basket or colander in a pot.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom about 1/2″.
- Place the lid on the pan, bring to a simmer. Let simmer/steam until cauliflower reaches desired texture.
Caution: Steam is very hot and can burn, use extreme caution when removing the lid from the pan.
How Long to Steam Cauliflower
Depending on the size of the florets, it will need 5 or 6 minutes to be tender-crisp. For softer cauliflower, cook 7-9 minutes.
To test for doneness, pierce the cauliflower with a fork. When it’s done, it should pierce easily.
Using Frozen Cauliflower
You can steam frozen cauliflower right from frozen. Simply place in the basket and steam as directed below.
To Steam in a Microwave
No steam basket or colander? No problem! Easily steam cauliflower by placing it in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap, or a silicone cover.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes, checking every 4 minutes for doneness.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and uncover it. Be careful of steam escaping.
Store steamed cauliflower in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should keep about 4 days.
Great Veggie Side Dishes
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts – so easy to make
- How to Steam Broccoli
- How to Cook Asparagus (Steam, Grill, Bake) – a family favorite veggie
- How to Cook Acorn Squash
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash In The Microwave
Did you try this Steamed Cauliflower? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
How to Steam Cauliflower
- 4 cups cauliflower florets trimmed and washed
- 1 ½ cups water or as needed
- salt & pepper
- butter for serving, optional
- Place a steam basket or colander into a large saucepan.
- Add cauliflower to the basket and add enough water to cover the bottom of the saucepan.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook 5-6 minutes or until tender-crisp (or cook 7-9 minutes for soft cauliflower).
- Season with salt, pepper & butter if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I am looking for a recipe for Cauliflower Casserole. Any ideas?
Yes David, we have a couple! Cauliflower Gratin is great or this cheesy casserole can be made with either just cauliflower or broccoli and cauliflower.
Straight forward easy directions on how long to steam cauliflower. It really tastes better steamed than boiled.
We love steamed veggies (and more nutritious too!).
We love steamed cauliflower! I don’t have a steamer basket, so just steam it in a frying pan with water & the lid on.
Once done, I sauté with a little butter.
Sounds delicious, Renee! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :)