Cashew Chicken Stir Fry is full of sautéed chicken, veggies, and crunchy cashews, all coated in a simple savory sauce.
No need to order take out when you can make your own at home! Serve this easy cashew recipe over fluffy rice or noodles.
Take Out at Home
I love a good chicken stir fry and one of my favorite take out dishes is this cashew chicken recipe! I decided it was time to learn to make it at home, and my version is cheaper, healthier and tastes better than what you’d order at a restaurant.
First, let’s talk about the veggies. I make this recipe with a combination of onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. You can make cashew chicken with other veggies too like
- green or red bell peppers
- water chestnuts
Cook the vegetables until tender crisp (so they aren’t soggy) and then the chicken goes into the pan.
How to Make Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this easy chicken stir fry, which I cut into 1-inch pieces. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs like I do in Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry. The chicken is cooked until golden brown, then the chicken and veggies are coated in an easy sauce.
- Sauce: You probably have most of the ingredients for the sauce in your pantry already. The exception might be the hoisin sauce, which is available in most grocery stores in the ethnic foods section.
- Toppings: Cashew Chicken is great topped with green onions, cilantro, fresh crisp bean sprouts.
- Rice: Put a pot of rice on the stove to cook at the same time you start the chicken stir fry. Everything should be ready at the same time!
More Great Stir Fry Recipes
- Stir Fry Veggies – A great side dish for any meal!
- Easy Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli – Classic take out combo!
- Easy Pepper Steak
- Shrimp Stir Fry with Zucchini Noodles – Loaded with fresh veggies!
- Easy Mongolian Beef – Reader favorite, this recipe is so easy and so good!
- Kung Pao Chicken
I add the cashews to this stir fry at the very end so that they stay crunchy. I typically use unsalted or low sodium roasted cashews; if you use salted cashews it could make the finished dish overly salty.
Next time you’re about to pick up the phone to order take out, try making it at home instead! This cashew chicken stir fry is easy, simple to make and totally delicious.
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
For the Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil divided use
- 2 small zucchini quartered lengthwise then sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms quartered
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup roasted cashews unsalted or low sodium
For the Sauce
- ⅓ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just softened.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and just browned.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan, place on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Increase the heat to medium high.
- Place the chicken in the pan and season with the salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the chicken and pour the sauce over the top. Increase the heat to high and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in cashews and serve immediately, over rice if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry
- Sweet Garlic Chicken