Pepper Chicken Stir Fry recipe is ridiculously easy to make with ingredients that you already have in your pantry. Fast, full of flavour and best served with some steamed rice.
We usually have a couple of sauces like soy sauce and oyster sauce always in our pantry so that recipes like this can come together in a jiffy.
I know how hard it can be to think of unique dinner recipes every day which is why once in a while, you need a back pocket recipe that you can keep going back to. And this healthy chicken stir fry recipe is fast, easy, and is made with ingredients that don’t need a trip to the grocery store.
How to Make Chicken Stir Fry
This recipe starts with making the chicken stir fry marinade with soy sauce, minced garlic and ground pepper and marinating the chicken in it for at least fifteen minutes. This helps build more flavour in the chicken and creates a nice base for this recipe.
The total cooking and stir frying time is only 20 minutes, and you can chop up all your ingredients while the chicken is marinating. We add some finely chopped ginger and garlic, diced onions, green and red bell peppers and a few sauces to finish this off, once the chicken is cooked. And then you just toss everything together.
We coat the marinated chicken pieces in a little cornstarch to get them nice and crisp in the pan before stir frying them with the rest of the ingredients.
This adds a little crispness to the chicken and helps keep the flavours intact. The chicken is cooked on a high flame to get a nice sear, and since these are small pieces of chicken breasts, they cook in under ten minutes.
I love using both green and red bell peppers because they add a sharp flavour with a hint of sweetness to this recipe. But feel free to mix that up with yellow or just go with one variety. You could even make this a chicken broccoli stir fry if that’s what you fancy!
Once everything is tossed in that delicious easy chicken stir fry sauce, you’ll be going at it right from the pan itself. The sauce that coats the chicken is incredibly delicious, and spooned over some steamed rice, sichuan rice or even Cauliflower Rice, it makes for the perfect dinner!
MORE EASY ASIAN INSPIRED RECIPES!
- Chicken Pad Thai
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Pineapple Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets
- Barbecued Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
This chicken stir fry with vegetables also makes for great leftovers and actually tastes better as time goes by.
Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
For the Marinade
- 4 Chicken Breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
For the Stir Fry
- 1/4 cup Oyster Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch divided
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil divided
- 1 large Onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium Green Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger finely chopped
- Combine all the ingredients listed under marinade including the chicken and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Whisk together oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, half cup water and one tablespoon of cornstarch and set aside.
- Once the chicken has marinated, toss it in remaining two tablespoons cornstarch.
- Heat two tablespoons oil in a large pan and add the chicken pieces. Don't overcrowd the pan and if your pan is not large enough, do this in batches. Cook the chicken pieces on high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the pieces from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan on high heat, and add the onions and bell peppers. Toss them in the pan for a minute or two till they brighten up in colour and have cooked slightly. Toss in the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken pieces and sauce mixture to the pan. Toss everything well, and simmer for a minute or two till the sauce thickens and coats the chicken well. Serve hot with steamed rice or veggies on the side.