If you’re looking for a delicious and super easy side, you’ll love these brown sugar carrots!
They’re sweet and caramelized in a hint of brown sugar and this recipe takes just one pot and 15 minutes.
An Easy Side
We have the one-pot stovetop solution for a quick side dish! Make ahead, store in the refrigerator and then simply reheat in the microwave!
Boil or Steam Carrots First
Many vegetable recipes recommend boiling or steaming prior as a first step because it cuts cooking time, technically, either method works. Here are two methods for steaming vegetables.
- Microwave Steam: Place carrots in a microwave-safe bowl with about one inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap and poke some holes in the top for so the steam can vent. Cook on high for about 4-5 minutes or until the carrots are tender crisp. Remove plastic away from your face to avoid the steam and be careful, the steam can burn your hand.
- Stove Top Steam: Place carrots in a steamer basket in a saucepan with about one inch of water. Cover the saucepan and cook on high until the carrots are tender about 6-7 minutes.
- Stove Top Boil: Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add carrots. Simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
COOK TIME: Garden fresh or young baby carrots will need less time to cook while older or larger carrots might need more time. Test the carrots with a fork early to ensure they don’t overcook.
Add the Brown Sugar
Brown sugar carrots are as easy as 1-2-3!
- Once the carrots are tender, drain well.
- Combine with brown sugar and butter. Serve immediately.
If you prefer the brown sugar to be more of a glaze, allow it to simmer with the butter for about 1-2 minutes before stirring the carrots in.
- Baby carrots, fresh peeled and sliced carrots, or even sliced frozen carrots will work. Before cooking, thaw frozen carrots on the countertop or in the microwave, and drain.
- For a honey-glazed version, switch out the brown sugar for honey and add a touch of cinnamon as a garnish before serving. Maple syrup will work too.
- Leftovers will last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Reheat brown sugar carrots in the microwave or on the stovetop with a tablespoon of butter. Adjust seasonings and serve.
What to Serve with Glazed Carrots
Crazy for Carrots
- Honey Roasted Carrots – with fresh dill & honey!
- Easy Oven Roasted Carrots – only 5 simple ingredients
- Honey Glazed Carrots – ready in 20 minutes
- Steamed Carrots – great for recipes
- Glazed Carrots – sweet & savory with a hint of maple
Did you love these Brown Sugar Carrots? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Brown Sugar Carrots
- 1 pound carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Peel carrots and cut into ½ " slices.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and simmer 5-6 minutes or until carrots are tender-crisp (do not overcook). Drain well.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and salt to the same pot. Toss with carrots and cook until melted and smooth.
- Serve warm.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)