Broiled tomatoes are incredibly delicious and ready in mere minutes!
This is a great way to enjoy the bounty of fresh summer tomatoes and they’re perfect served as a side or even on toast as lunch!
Broiled tomatoes need just a few ingredients and have heaps of flavor.
Fresh garden or farmer’s market tomatoes are great in this recipe but of course ripe supermarket tomatoes work too.
The tomatoes should be ripe but still very slightly firm.
Herbs and fresh garlic are brushed for great flavor. We top these with shredded mozzarella, and Parmesan.
If you have fresh herbs (parsley and basil are favorites) sprinkle them on top after cooking.
A drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction is great with these too!
How to Broil Tomatoes
Broiled tomatoes are the perfect juicy appetizer and ready in just minutes!
- Slice tomatoes.
- Brush each side of tomatoes with oil, garlic, and seasonings (per recipe below).
- Sprinkle cheeses on top of each tomato and broil.
- Ensure tomatoes are ripe but not mushy.
- Cut the slices fairly thick so the cheese melts and gets bubbly without the tomatoes getting mushy.
- Shred your own cheeses, pre-shredded cheeses have additives to keep them from clumping and they don’t melt as well.
- Fresh herbs are best added after cooking.
What to Serve with Broiled Tomatoes
There are so many different options for broiled tomatoes!
- Broiled tomatoes will seriously level up your BLT game! Try them in this recipe for the perfect BLT.
- Broiled tomatoes are positively decadent on this grilled cheese sandwich!
- Or, try them on this delicious broiled tomato sandwich for the perfect lunch!
- As a side, we love them next to our fave meatloaf recipe.
- They’re delicious as a topping on our tangy lemon chicken.
- They’re even amazing topped with stir fry sauce for a low carb Asian twist!
Fresh Tomato Favorites
- Homemade Tomato Soup (Fresh Tomatoes)
- Tomato Basil Rice
- Garden Fresh Bruschetta
- Pico de Gallo
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Tomato Pie
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Stuffed Tomatoes
- Marinated Tomatoes
Did you love these Broiled Tomatoes? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound large ripe tomatoes room temperature
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- Slice tomatoes ¾ " thick.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Brush over each side of the tomatoes and place on a baking sheet.
- Top with cheeses.
- Place oven rack on the top rack and preheat broiler to 500°F.
- Broil tomatoes 2-3 minutes or just until cheeses are browned and bubbly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!