A broiled tomato sandwich has all of the tasty goodness of ripe, juicy, tomatoes topped with broiled melty cheese!
This is the perfect snack or meal any time of day and makes a great side for soup and more.
A simple tomato sandwich is one of life’s greatest pleasures, soft bread, juicy tomatoes, and a smear of mayonnaise. This version has taken a traditional old school favorite and given it an easy upgrade!
Sliced tomatoes sit on top of lightly toasted sourdough bread within layers of cheese broiled to bubbly perfection.
Garnish with basil and a splash of a bright balsamic reduction for the perfect bite!
An Easy Snack
Tomato sandwiches are one of our favorite comfort foods, no doubt— but this recipe up-levels it by adding broiled tomatoes, toasting the bread, and melting the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
BREAD Sourdough bread is my fave in this recipe but use any rustic or crusty bread (or even French bread).
TOMATOES We love Roma tomatoes because they hold up well to broiling without getting mushy. Honestly, any ripe tomato will be great in this recipe.
CHEESE Mozzarella goes perfectly with tomatoes. Shred it and pile it high!
GARNISH Fresh basil is a favorite (if you have to use dried, add it with the cheese before cooking). A balsamic drizzle or a splash of balsamic finishes this dish perfectly.
More Savory Sandwiches
- French Dip Sandwich – great for a crowd
- The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich – 5 star recipe
- The Perfect BLT – fresh & tasty
- Corned Beef Sandwich – the perfect lunch
- Italian Sub Sandwich – quick & easy
Did you love these Broiled Tomato Sandwiches? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Broiled Tomato Sandwiches
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or as needed, divided use
- 2 cloves garlic divided use
- 4 roma tomatoes ripe, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- fresh basil and parsley for serving
- Turn broiler on to high heat (500°F) and arrange an oven rack about 4" from the broiler.
- Brush sourdough with olive oil on both sides. Place on a pan and broil 2 minutes per side or just until golden.
- Remove from the oven and immediately rub one side of the toasted bread with one of the garlic cloves. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes ½" thick.
- Mince the remaining clove of garlic and mix it with 1 tablespoon olive oil and Italian seasoning. Brush over each side of the tomatoes and place on a baking sheet. Top each tomato slice with shredded cheeses evenly.
- Broil tomatoes 2-3 minutes or just until cheeses are browned and bubbly.
- Top each slice of toast with warm tomatoes and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!