Lemon Chicken is a flavorful meal that needs just a handful of ingredients!
Tender chunks of chicken are pan-fried and tossed in a simple tangy-sweet lemon sauce. You can’t beat the flavor of fresh lemon. Serve this over rice for the perfect weeknight dinner.
To Make Chicken Tender
Have you ever had a stir-fry and wondered how the get the meat so darn tender? Most often it’s due to a technique called velveting.
Meat (beef or chicken) is marinated in a combination of egg white, cornstarch, oil, and often other additives like vinegar. Cornstarch is a natural tenderizer (and used in this recipe as well as many other stir fry favorites and even Mongolian Beef)!
How To Make Lemon Chicken
This easy chicken recipe is ready in just 3 simple steps!
- Dice chicken breasts and toss with egg mixture (per recipe below). Refrigerate while making the sauce.
- Stir fry the chicken in batches until golden brown.
- Add the sauce and cook until thick and bubbly. Toss with chicken and serve.
Pour the sauce right over if you are in a hurry, but I like to remove the chicken from the pan, deglaze the pan using the sauce, then add the chicken back in.
Garnish with lemon slices, green onion or chives and sesame seeds.
Tip: For easy cutting, freeze the chicken about 15 minutes before cutting if time allows (or cut it while it’s not completely defrosted).
Lemon Chicken is a great dish to make ahead or make a double batch so that you’ll have lots of leftovers. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days for easy lunches!
Better Than Takeout Dishes
- Sesame Chicken – tender & delicious
- Sweet and Sour Pork – fav dish!
- Chicken Chow Mein – with homemade sauce!
- Teriyaki Chicken – quick & easy to make
- Beef and Broccoli – 30 min meal!
- 1 pound chicken breast diced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Toss chicken with egg, cornstarch and soy sauce. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the egg mixture allowing any excess to drip off. Add chicken in batches and stir-fry until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add sauce and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and lemon wedges (optional)
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!