Perfectly grilled Johnsonville Brats kept hot & juicy in a flavorful beer & onion broth Brat Hot Tub! We love topping these off with our favorite fixin’s including a quick and easy homemade dill pickle relish (no cooking or canning required).
Friends…. Did you know that August 16 is National Bratwurst Day?! How awesome, and now this holiday has been dubbed Bratsgiving! This is a time to gather around the grill with family and friends to celebrate the deliciousness of Brats…. best holiday ever if you ask me! (Learn more about Bratsgiving and Carl the Great Bratsgiver here)!!
We got together with some friends and family and created the most delicious brats in celebration of this day! Tender, juicy and totally loaded with flavor the brats are grilled to delicious perfection and once done, we put them in a “Brat Hot Tub”.
What is a Beer Brat Hot Tub?
A Beer Brat Hot Tub is simply a delicious simmering pan of flavorful beer & onion broth. Once your Brats are grilled to perfection, put them into the hot tub to keep them hot and juicy as your guests arrive and throughout your Bratgiving day party! Genius right?
We use Johnsonville original Brats which are loaded with flavor but there ares so many other varieties that all work perfectly in this recipe including Buffalo Bleu Brats & Cheddar Brats just to name a couple! These are actually really easy to make but you’re going to look like a total grill master.
Before our guests arrive, we love to set out a huge array of toppings for our grilled brats including a quick no-cook dill pickle relish, onions, sauerkraut, tomatoes, hot peppers and more!
A few quick tips to grill the perfect Brats.
- Use tongs and not a fork to ensure they’re nice and juicy (you don’t want to pierce the brats).
- Prepare the Beer Brat Hot Tub on one side of the grill and allow it to simmer while you grill your brats.
- Turn your Brats frequently while grilling over medium heat.
- Closing the lid while grilling will help minimize flare ups.
- Don’t forget to leave your kitchen window open on Bratsgiving Eve so that Carl the Great Bratsgiver can leave behind some delicious brats in your fridge.
Beer Brats Hot Tub with Dill Pickle Relish
- Johnsonville Brats , Original
- 2 cans light beer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- splash of dill pickle juice (optional)
- 2 white onions , sliced
- Red & Green Bell Peppers (optional)
Dill Pickle Relish
- 2 tablespoons diced white onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dill pickles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to grill to medium-low.
- Place a disposable 9"x11" foil pan on the grill. Add beer, butter, pickle juice (if using) and onions. Set off to one side of the grill to simmer and cook.
- Place Johnsonville brats to juicy perfection, about 15-20 minutes.
- If using, lightly olive oil the outside of the bell peppers. Grill, slice and add to hot tub.
- Once grilled, add your cooked Brats to your hot tub and allow to stay hot and juicy as your guests arrive (or come back for seconds)!
Dill Pickle Relish
- Chop onions in a mini food processor. Add pickles and pulse a couple of times.
- Add in remaining ingredients and pulse to desired texture.
Closing the lid while possible will help minimize flare-ups.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.