Basted eggs are an easy favorite way to cook eggs!
Make 4-6 eggs all at once and save time and effort on those busy mornings! A little butter and a little water steam the eggs, creating solid whites and soft creamy yolks. Get the true flavor of fresh eggs with minimal fat and learn how to baste eggs; you’ll wonder why you never tried this recipe before!
What is a Basted Egg?
A basted egg is similar to a fried egg, but a small splash of water is added to help steam the tops.
- We love this recipe because it cooks eggs to a medium set (AKA “sunny side up”).
- This recipe uses 3 simple ingredients you likely have on hand.
- They’re so quick to make! These eggs are ready to enjoy in less than 10 minutes.
Poached vs Basted Eggs
What’s the difference between poaching and basting?
Poached eggs are submerged in boiling water (sometimes with vinegar added) in an uncovered pan. A poached egg will have a firm white and a runny yolk.
A basted egg is cooked in a small amount of oil or butter and then a small amount of water is added to the pan. The eggs are steamed as the water evaporates under the closed lid. It’s a nearly fool-proof way to cook eggs without any extra steps!
- Other seasonings can be sprinkled on the eggs before the water is added to the pan.
- Finish with Everything Bagel Seasoning, Adobo Seasoning, or Homemade Seasoned Salt.
- Even a few drops of hot sauce can be added to the eggs for an extra spicy flavor!
How to Make Basted Eggs
It’s super easy to make homemade, restaurant-style basted eggs!
- Melt butter, gently break eggs into the pan.
- Cook uncovered a few minutes per recipe below.
- Add water, cover, & continue to cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft.
What to Serve With Basted Eggs
Basted eggs can be subbed for poached in Eggs Benedict.
Easy Ways to Make Eggs
- How to Make Fried Eggs – ready in 10 minutes
- Oven Poached Eggs – a great way to cook eggs for a crowd
- Microwave Scrambled Eggs – ready in 5 minutes
- Air Fryer Eggs – boiled eggs in the air fryer
- Easy Baked Eggs – a low carb breakfast
- Hard Boiled Eggs – perfect every time
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs – everyone’s favorite!
How do you serve your Basted Eggs? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Heat a 10" non-stick skillet over medium heat and melt butter.
- Once butter is melted, crack eggs one at a time and add to the skillet.
- Allow to cook without moving until the whites are set, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to the skillet (it's ok if the water is on the set egg whites) and place a lid on the skillet.
- Continue to cook until eggs are set but the yolk is still soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan immediately so the eggs don't overcook.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!