This Banana Split Dessert is a classic summertime sundae loaded with vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream, gooey syrups, nuts, whipped cream, and cherries!
Even though this old fashioned dessert begins with classic flavors, there’s no reason you can’t mix it up with different ice cream flavors and topping! Take the traditional route and use classic vanilla ice cream or get creative and try it with key lime pie ice cream and other fun flavors!
What Is A Banana Split?
It is an ice cream-based dessert with a banana cut in half lengthwise then placed in a dish and topped with three scoops of ice cream, sauces, whipped cream, nuts, and cherries.
This dessert is traditionally served in a long oval dishes called banana split boats. These serving dishes can be hard to find. The best place to find both glass boats and plastic disposable boats is on Amazon.
Most classic ice cream treats like Root Beer Floats, Milkshakes, and the Banana Split were invented in a soda fountain. The Banana Split was invented in the early 1900s by a young pharmacist who worked in the pharmacy that housed the soda fountain. The original cost just 10¢!
How To Make A Banana Split
This is such a simple dessert to make, but you’ll want to work quickly because…ice cream.
- Slice a banana in half lengthwise placing one banana half on each side of the boat.
- Add one scoop of each chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream* on top of the banana slices.
- Top the scoops of ice cream with the different sauces. Then finish with whipped cream, chopped nuts, and maraschino cherries.
PRO TIP: If you are making a few Banana Splits, scoop your ice cream ahead of time and freeze the scoops on a cookie sheet covered with parchment. Putting the banana split sundaes together will be a snap!
There you have it, how to make a classic banana split recipe at home! Now grab your spouse or your BFF and a couple of spoons and dig in!
What Are Classic Toppings?
The traditional toppings on a banana split dessert are usually found in the ice cream aisle on ends caps or in the same aisle as the jams and peanut butter in the grocery store. They include the following:
More Delicious Ice Cream Desserts
- Mint Oreo Fudge Ice Cream Cake – easy, quick & perfect for summer!
- Ice Cream Cupcakes – easy no bake dessert!
- Caramel Rum Raisin Ice Cream Pie – great adult sweet treat
- Affogato Ice Cream – simple 2 ingredient recipe!
- Homemade Ice Cream – No Ice Cream Maker required
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1 scoop strawberry ice cream
- 2 tablespoons hot fudge sauce
- 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons pineapple sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanuts chopped
- 3 maraschino cherries
- whipped cream
- Slice the banana in half lengthwise and place the halves on either side of a banana split boat dish.
- Add the scoops of ice cream between the slices of bananas. Top each scoop of ice cream with one of the sauces.
- Top with whipped cream, chopped peanuts, and maraschino cherries and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.