A country-style creamy gravy with just a few ingredients and a little whisking. What better way to start the weekend than with a hearty breakfast? Bacon gravy is so easy to make and can be topped on everything from biscuits to waffles.
What is Bacon Gravy?
Bacon gravy can either be white or brown but we most often enjoy this country-style gravy. Milk gives the gravy its creamy base while the bacon drippings, bacon pieces, and some salt and pepper give this yummy gravy its unique flavor.
- Nothing goes to waste when making bacon gravy! Use bacon fat for the roux.
- Add your own favorite seasonings if you’d like.
Ingredients and Variations
BACON: Any kind of bacon will do. Plain, peppered, or maple will give the gravy a new flavor every time. You’ll need to ensure you get at least 2 tablespoons of bacon grease to make the roux. If there isn’t enough fat, use equal amounts of butter (or cook up extra bacon for BLTs or to add to salads).
FLOUR: All purpose flour is used for thickening. We have not tried this with alternate low carb flour options.
MILK: Whole milk gives the gravy its rich flavor due to its high-fat content you can add a splash of heavy whipping cream if you’d like.
How to Make Bacon Gravy
A little whisking action and some patience make for the best gravy!
- Cook bacon crisp over medium heat in a skillet. Remove bacon from pan but leave the fat.
- Whisk in the flour per recipe below. Add milk a little at a time stirring until smooth.
- Add bacon pieces, salt, & pepper.
Serve over biscuits or cornbread.
PRO TIP: When making a roux, allow the flour and bacon fat to cook for at least 1 minute. Stir in the milk a little bit at a time whisking until there are no lumps, after each addition. The milk mixture will be very thick at first.
Store bacon gravy in a mason jar or covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Give it a shake and reheat on the stove.
- Easy Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits – so flaky & flavorful
- The Best Meatloaf Recipe – a reader favorite
- Fluffy Homemade Waffles – a 5 star recipe
- Easy Corn Casserole – such a quick & easy dish
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes – perfectly creamy & fluffy
Did you make this Bacon Gravy? Be sure to leave us a rating and a comment below!
Creamy Bacon Gravy
- 8 slices raw bacon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked biscuits for serving
- Brown bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon and leave 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet.
- Whisk flour into the bacon fat and cook 1 minute.
- Add milk a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thick and bubbly.
- Crumble bacon and stir into the gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon over biscuits for serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)