Here’s a recipe that takes that last bit of summer zucchini and makes a tasty zucchini toast snack or appetizer! This retake on avocado toast needs just a loaf of crusty bread and a few other ingredients.
BREAD A dense loaf of sourdough bread is toasted and rubbed with garlic and then dressed with all the trimmings! Or make your own homemade French bread which tastes amazing with this recipe too!
OLIVE OIL Drizzle with olive oil mixed with seasonings! The better quality the oil, the more amazing the flavor will be. Or go ahead and use melted butter mixed with Italian seasoning, instead!
CHEESE Ricotta cheese makes a perfect layer of yumminess for this toast. But feel free to sub fresh mozzarella or even cream cheese if its what you have on hand.
As long as the slices of bread are thick enough, they can hold all kinds of delicious toppings!
- Top the finished slices with roasted red bell peppers.
- Even sliced hard-boiled eggs make for an attractive topping as well
- No ricotta? Use small curd cottage cheese or cream cheese will work.
- Mix up the herbs and spices for a different flavor profile. Try dried chilis with Italian seasoning for some kick!
How to Make Zucchini Toast
It’s super easy to make.
- Slice bread and brush with oil and garlic.
- Toss zucchini in oil and seasonings and broil until golden brown.
- Spread each piece of toasted sourdough bread with ricotta. Top with zucchini and a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
- Zucchini Soup – so creamy
- Zucchini Casserole
- Fried Zucchini – only 5 ingredients
- Easy Baked Zucchini – great appetizer
- Easy Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Sauteed Zucchini – ready in under 30 minutes
- Crispy Zucchini Fries – oven-baked
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips – breaded with panko
Did you love this Zucchini Toast? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium zucchini thinly sliced (¼" thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or as needed
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- fresh dill and parsley for serving
- Turn broiler on to high heat (500°F) and arrange an oven rack about 4" from the broiler.
- Brush sourdough with olive oil on both sides. Place on a baking sheet and broil 2 minutes per side or just until golden.
- Remove from the oven and immediately rub one side of the toasted bread with the garlic clove. Set aside.
- Toss zucchini with 1 tablespoon olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Spread zucchini on a baking sheet and broil 4-5 minutes or until softened and lightly browned.
- Spread each piece of toast with ¼ cup ricotta cheese.
- Top with warm zucchini slices and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with fresh herbs.