Fresh, colorful, and flavorful, sauteed zucchini and tomatoes are the perfect way to enjoy fresh summer veggies!
In this recipe, veggies are simply seasoned and pan-fried and then topped with melty cheese. It’s the perfect side to any meal (or a great addition to pasta!).
Why We Love This Side Dish
Once you see how
- Zucchini and tomatoes are sauteed and ready in less than 10 minutes!
- One pan makes means less fuss, less mess.
- Fresh, healthy, and packed with flavor.
- Serve as a simple side dish with grilled chicken, pork, or fish.
- This mixture is also great served over rice or pasta.
Zucchini – Zucchini is plentiful during the spring and summer months. For a splash of color, add some yellow squash.
Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes are great in this dish. We also love Roma tomatoes as they hold up well. A can of drained diced tomatoes works too.
Cheese – While cheese is optional, we love the addition of a little bit of mozzarella and parmesan. Sprinkle on top and cover with a lid to allow it to melt. If your pan is oven safe, place it under the broiler for a minute or two if you’d like.
Seasonings – Simple seasonings allow the flavor of the zucchini and tomatoes to shine. A couple of cloves of garlic and some herbs is all you need. If you have fresh basil, it should be added after cooking.
- Add other vegetables like eggplant, mushrooms, bell peppers, or asparagus.
- Add a bit of tomato sauce and simmer a couple of minutes before serving.
- Stir in additional herbs like oregano or Italian seasoning.
- Make ahead and layer in a baking dish. Top with cheese and bake a few minutes before serving.
How to Make Zucchini & Tomatoes
This side dish is a delicious way of using up all that fresh summer produce like zucchini and tomatoes.
- Cook onion in oil until tender.
- Add garlic, zucchini, parsley, and basil (as per the recipe below) and saute.
- Add tomato, seasoned salt & pepper.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle on cheeses and cover until cheese melts.
PRO TIP: For browned and bubbly cheese, place the skillet under the broiler.
Store zucchini and tomatoes in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Add leftovers to stir-fries, omelets, casseroles, soups, or pasta sauce. Freeze in portions in zippered bags for up to 6 weeks and thaw in the refrigerator.
More Zucchini Recipes We Love
Did you make this Zucchini and Tomatoes Recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large zucchini cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes diced, any variety
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ ounce parmesan cheese shredded
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet. Cook onion over medium heat until tender.
- Add garlic, zucchini, parsley, and basil. Cook until zucchini is tender-crisp, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add tomato, seasoned salt & pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheeses and cover with a lid*, rest 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.