Walking Tacos are as much fun to make as they are to eat! Ground beef tacos are piled on tortilla chips (or corn chips) right in the bag.
Add a spoon and your fave toppings for an out-of-the-box gathering! Try single-serve Doritos (or Fritos) as the base.
What is a Walking Taco?
Walking tacos use a bag of tortilla or corn chips topped with taco meat and taco toppings. They’re served right in the chip bag for easy prep and little cleanup!
- It’s a portable meal that can be prepared on the fly and eaten on the go. Tastes just like the food truck original!
- Great for a party with a topping bar, let everyone make their own!
- Swap out the beef for ground chicken or even pulled pork.
What’s in a Walking Taco?
CHIPS Use single-serve 1 oz. bags of chips. Have several flavors on hand, so everyone can choose their favorites. Frito bags, Doritos, or plain corn chips can all be used. Have a pair of scissors on hand for cutting the tops off of the bags, this makes for easier prep!
MEAT Ground beef is our meat of choice, but feel free to prepare ground chicken or turkey as an alternative. Make enough for each bag to have 1/4 cup of seasoned meat added.
SEASONING A taco seasoning packet is used for easy prep, but feel free to make a homemade taco seasoning instead.
FILLINGS It’s fun to create a taco bar where everyone can make their own walking taco. Plus, no plates to wash! Have bowls of Tex-Mex cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cherry tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and definitely bell peppers or jalapenos.
To serve a crowd, prepare the taco meat per the recipe below and keep it warm in a small slow cooker.
How to Make Walking Tacos
This has to be one of the easiest party-food recipes ever:
- Cook meat with seasonings. Chop or shred vegetables & prepare the other add-ins.
- Crush each bag of chips a little, to make more room inside, then snip the top off.
- Add 1/4 cup of meat to each bag, then layer toppings as desired & enjoy!
What to Serve with Walking Tacos
More Fave Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos – fresh & flavorful
- Easy Fish Tacos – ready in 20 minutes
- Easy Steak Tacos
- Chicken Street Tacos
- Ground Turkey Tacos – easy to make
- Shrimp Tacos – a quick weekday meal
- Taco Quinoa Bowl
Did you enjoy these Walking Tacos? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-6 bags of doritos 1 ounce each
Optional Add-Ins (per bag):
- 1 cherry tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce washed & dried
- ⅛ avocado or 1 tablespoon guacamole
- Brown ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add taco seasoning and water and cook until thickened, about 2 to 4 minutes..
- While keeping doritos inside the bag, gently crush until chips are slightly broken.
- Add a heaping ¼ cup of taco meat to each bag.
- Layer your desired toppings directly into the bag of chips and toss with a fork before enjoying.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)