Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are great for summertime! Perfect for a bake sale, a lemonade stand or an outdoor birthday party. Let your little guests decorate with their own ‘frosting’ and toppings! No bowls, plates, forks, or spoons are required for this fun edible activity!
Try topping with chocolate buttercream frosting or fresh lemon buttercream frosting for a variety of flavors everyone will love! Set out with sprinkles and allow everyone to create the favorite ice cream flavors!
What Cake Mix is Best?
Any flavor of cake mix will do, so there is definitely no need to buy the fancy brands! Why not try an assortment of chocolate, strawberry or vanilla for a variety of colorful ice cream cone cupcakes?
If you have a favorite homemade cake mix, that will work perfectly too. Simply fill the cones 2/3 full with prepared mix. (A 9×13 size mix works well here).
Chocolate Cake, yellow cake, white cake… the sky’s the limit!
How To Make Them
Preheat oven to 350°F and set the (flat-bottomed) ice cream cones in the wells of a cupcake tray.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Pour the cake batter 2/3 full into each ice cream cone (image above)
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the ice cream cone cupcakes to cool completely. Once cooled, top each cupcake with whipped cream or nutella frosting and sprinkles.
Tips to Keep Cones From Falling
To keep the cones upright, especially while decorating, use muffin tins. Mini muffin tins are about the right size and mine seemed to hold up just fine. Cones that have pieces missing on the top ridge tend to leak down the sides a little bit so I buy a few extra cones so I can choose the best of the bunch.
If your cones seem tippy, make small wreaths of aluminum foil inside the muffins tins to keep the cones from tipping over while decorating or displaying.
How to Make Icing Look Like Ice Cream
This ice cream cone recipe looks just like real ice cream cones! Before spreading the frosting on the cupcake, whip it gently with a whisk while adding small drops of food coloring. This incorporates air and makes the frosting look more like whipped cream! Add sprinkles and even a cherry on top!
Fun Summer Desserts
- No Bake Strawberry Pie – perfect to make ahead!
- Lemon Zucchini Cupcakes – so moist and amazing!
- Easy Fruit Pizza – colorful, sweet and flavorful
- Berry Fluff Jello Salad – made with 4 different types of berries!
- Raspberry Cheesecake Dessert Shooters– decadent no-bake dessert
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 Box of Cake Mix (plus ingredients required to prepare)
- 22 Ice Cream Cones
- 1 tub Whipped Cream or Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place ice cream cones into the wells of a cupcake tray.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Fill cones 2/3 full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and top with whipped cream or frosting and sprinkles.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)