Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili
This Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili is destined to become one of your favorite soups ever! Its wonderfully hearty, comforting, creamy (without any heavy cream!), and the layers of flavors are out of this world – and almost “dump and run!”
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
We have almost officially entered soup season – my favorite food season of the year! Not only are soups satisfyingly delicious – they generally only require one pot, are a meal in one, boast layers of complex flavors from simmering, reheat beautifully for leftovers, and require hardly any “hands on” pep time – winning! And my absolutely favorite types of soups – slow cooker soups!
Slow Cooker soups are almost effortless, prepped in advance and fill your home with the aroma of savory anticipation. Some of my favorite slow cooker soups are Slow Cooker French Onion Soup, Slow Cooker SKINNY Potato Soup, Slow Cooker BEST EVER Beef Stew – and now I’m adding this Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili to the top of the list. It’s epic.
This Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili is bursting with all your White Chicken Chili faves: tender shredded chicken, creamy, hearty beans, warm fiestalicious spices, tangy bright green chilies and aromatic fresh cilantro. But to make this truly epic White Chicken Chili – its creamified! Because nothing says ultimate comfort food like warm, creamilicious soup. And because this soup is so knock your socks of delicious – you are going to want to eat bowl after bowl after bowl – which is why I’ve used a “skinny” method to make this soup rich and creamy.
My first tip for skinny soup is to use a can of cream-style corn as part of the soup base instead of broth – its natural creaminess is a life changing secret ingredient. Next, after the soup has been cruising and your chicken becomes tender enough to shred, you remove 1/2 cup broth and add it to your blender along with 1 cup beans, 1/4 cup cilantro, light cream cheese and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Blend to create a smooth puree then add this back to the soup along with your chicken. Cook for another 30 minutes and your soup will emerge soooooo wonderfully creamy.
And because we’ve saved a load of calories by not using heavy cream, we can afford to indulge in toppings. Lots and lots of toppings…cheese, avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, sour cream, tortilla chips etc – all your favorites in one bowl. An epically delicious bowl.
Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili
Easy Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili is super easy made in your slow cooker and packed with fiestalicious spices! This is about to become your new favorite chili recipe!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained*
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (4 oz.) cans mild diced green chilies
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can cream style corn
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tsp EACH chili powder, ancho chili powder, salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, dried oregano
Blender Ingredients (add later)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened (I use 1/3 less fat)
- ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro
- ½ cup soup “broth” (removed from slow cooker after cooking, see directions for details)
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Lime juice
- Hot sauce
- Lightly spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken in an even layer followed by all remaining slow cooker ingredients. Give the top ingredients a stir to combine. Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, shred chicken and return chicken to slow cooker. Turn Slow Cooker to High (if it had been on Low).
- Add all Blender Ingredients to a blender including 1/2 cup soup from slow cooker (try to just scoop out broth). Blend until smooth. Add puree back to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Top individual servings with desired toppings. Enjoy!
*You will need a total of THREE (14.5-ounce) cans Great Northern Beans for this recipe