This easy Crock Pot Tortilla Soup is the perfect ‘set it and forget it’ version of our favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
It makes for an easy weeknight dinner made right in the slow cooker. Most of the ingredients are ones you likely already have in the pantry and fridge!
The best slow cooker soup recipes are made with a big variety of flavors and colors just like this one.
A base of chicken broth is paired with tender chicken breasts, tomatoes, and a little bit of heat from jalapenos!
Once cooked, top this easy crockpot soup recipe with crispy tortilla strips (or even tortilla chips) for a delicious weeknight meal!
How to Make Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
Just like Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup simply place the ingredients in the crock pot and walk away. Right before serving, shred the chicken and enjoy! So easy.
- Cook onion, garlic, and jalapeno (or green chiles) in olive oil until they are softened and add to the Crock Pot.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
- Before serving, shred the cooked chicken and add back to the soup.
Serve with tortilla strips or broken up tortilla chips for extra crunch!
This Crock Pot Tortilla soup recipe is definitely a whole meal in itself, but a few extra ‘mix-ins’ on the side let everyone create their own tasty version!
A traditional chicken tortilla soup is topped with tortilla strips for texture (tortilla chips are a great substitution). Shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey jack cheese will melt perfectly over hot tortilla soup and a dollop of sour cream and some sliced pepperoncinis or sliced black olives and a garnish of chopped cilantro gives it a bright Mexican flavor!
Favorite Crock Pot Soups
- CrockPot Beef Stew – Reader favorite.
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – Healthy family favorite.
- Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup – No soaking required!
- Easy Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup – Creamy and comforting.
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic flavors!
Crock Pot Tortilla Soup
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas cut ¼-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic large, minced
- 1 jalapeño diced and seeded
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 can rotel
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 ½ oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Cook onion, garlic and jalapeño in olive oil. Add to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients (except tortillas and oil) to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken and add back to the pot. Serve with tortilla strips.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat a small pan. Add tortilla strips in small batches and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and salt.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!