You will be amazed at how much hearty flavor this black bean soup recipe has.
Black beans are slowly simmered in broth with veggies and bold Southwest spices. Crumbled bacon is added for a layer of smoky richness.
- Hearty and filling, this black bean soup recipe is easy to cook.
- This recipe is budget friendly, can be doubled and leftovers freeze well.
- If you’re feeding a family on a budget, you’ll love how this black bean soup recipe will stretch a dollar.
Ingredients for Black Bean Soup
Black Beans – Canned black beans make quick prep. If using dried beans, they will need to be simmered (per the notes in the recipe) before preparing this soup.
Bacon – Use any smoke-cured bacon and cook it crispy for serving. Reserve the fat for cooking vegetables. If you have a ham bone or a meaty ham hock, add it to the simmering soup for extra smoky goodness.
Vegetables – Onion, garlic, celery, and green/red bell pepper are sauteed in the bacon drippings for lots of flavor. Feel free to add other veggies like carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, corn, or diced tomatoes. Anything goes in black bean soup!
Broth – Chicken broth adds great flavor to this soup. Use bouillon if you wish, and reduce the added salt. For vegetarians, try vegetable broth or bouillon cubes, and leave out the bacon.
How to Make Black Bean Soup
This easy soup is perfect for the stovetop, slow cooker, or Instant Pot!
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Cook the onion in the bacon fat according to the recipe below.
- Stir in the canned beans and remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend or mash some of the soup to thicken, garnish and serve!
Add-Ins, Toppings, & Serving Suggestions
- Shredded cheddar cheese or crumbled Cotija cheese
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Avocado slices, fresh lime juice, sliced jalapenos, fresh cilantro
- Salsa and a dollop sour cream or Greek yogurt
Store leftover soup in the fridge for up to 4 days. This soup can be frozen for up to 4 months. Reheat from frozen in the microwave or covered on the stovetop on low.
Did your family love this Black Bean Soup? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Black Bean Soup
- 4 slices bacon chopped, or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 ½ cups bell pepper (any color) finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans black beans 15 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- sour cream, green onions, cilantro optional
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside (reserving fat.)
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic to the bacon fat and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (except bacon) and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Using an immersion blender, blend about half of the soup mixture to thicken. Stir in the bacon.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, and green onions if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.