Sweet Potato Pie is deliciously rich and perfect for your Thanksgiving table this year! A simple blend of baked sweet potatoes, evaporated milk and a blend of warm pumpkin pie spices fill a flaky homemade pie crust.
This easy dessert is a southern classic for good reason! Top it with freshly whipped cream for serving.
A Fall Staple
Sweet Potato Pie is a popular southern recipe and one that I absolutely love (even though I’m not from the south)! If you love classic pumpkin pie , then you will most absolutely definitely love this sweet potato pie recipe too!
So, what is the difference between sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie? To be honest, the two pies are very similar, calling for ingredients such as eggs, condensed or evaporated milk, and fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon (this recipe uses pumpkin pie spice instead).
Obviously, one pie uses pumpkin puree while the other uses mashed sweet potatoes. The textures are also similar but you will likely find that this recipe has a bit more texture (using fresh sweet potatoes) and a more naturally sweet flavor than it’s pumpkin pie relative.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potatoes: You can purchase canned sweet potatoes but it tastes even better to make baked sweet potatoes (or to boil them). You’ll just simply need to toss them into the oven and let them bake. This can be done a day or two ahead of time!
- Evaporated Milk: This adds a creamy consistency.
- Sugars: Obviously for sweetness, sub in half brown sugar for a richer flavor.
- Crust: I prefer homemade but store bought will work just fine too!
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
Much like a pumpkin pie, this is the epitome of “easy as pie”. The hardest part will be deciding how large to cut each piece!
- Combine prepared sweet potato with remaining ingredients (eggs, evaporated milk and pumpkin pie spice per recipe below).
- Whisk or use an electric hand mixer for an extra smooth pie (I prefer the texture of whisking).
- Pour into a prepared pie crust.
Bake this sweet potato pie recipe for about 1 hour and allow to cool completely.
Can you Freeze Sweet Potato Pie?
Yes, you can definitely freeze a sweet potato pie! It is important to note to freeze prior to cooking your pie. You will need to thaw the pie completely before baking it. If you freeze a cooked sweet potato pie, it will become soggy – it would be edible, but just not as great if you baked it fresh!
This is the best Sweet Potato Pie recipe you have ever tried! Not only is it incredibly easy to make but the flavor is just perfectly spiced and yet deliciously sweet! Be sure to keep this recipe close at hand this holiday season because your family will be asking for you to make it again and again!
More Classic Fall Pies
- Apple Pie Recipe
- Classic Pecan Pie
- Praline Pumpkin Pie
- The Best Apple Crumb Pie Ever
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes cooked and mashed, approximately 2 cups
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 9 inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- In a large bowl combine prepared sweet potatoes, melted butter, sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt.
- Whisk until smooth (or use an electric mixer if preferred).
- Pour into uncooked 9" pie crust and bake for 55-60 minutes or until set.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. Top with whipped cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)