This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili recipe comes together in just a few minutes and creates a hearty and healthy dinner that the entire family will love!
A Chicken Chili That’s Both Delicious and Nutritious
There are few things better than coming home from a busy day to find an amazing dinner, hot and ready, waiting for you! This slow cooker chicken chili is a family favorite at my house because it is not only hearty, but it is leaner than most recipes that call for beef. I also love this recipe because you can load it up with any veggies you have on hand!
Add the Variety You Love
This recipe is extremely versatile. I have used chicken breast in this recipe but you can also substitute ground chicken or turkey (you will need to pre-cook it) and reduce the broth to 2 cups. Red or white kidney beans are both great in this recipe. I love to use all colors of bell peppers but you can use whatever color you have on hand!
We like to top our slow cooker chicken chili with a variety of toppings! From sliced green onions to tortilla strips, cheese, and sour cream! Setting up a chili bar is a fun way to try different flavors and to mix favorites and make a bowl of chili that is uniquely perfect for your palate!
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CHILI
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (red or orange)
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded & minced
- 1 15 oz can corn, drained & rinsed
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 limes juiced
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can refried beans
- Place chicken, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, corn, beans, onion and tomatoes into the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl combine salsa, lime juice, chicken broth, garlic, cumin and chili powder. Pour over chicken mixture.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Remove and shred chicken. Return chicken to slow cooker, stir in refried beans and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until hot.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.