A little sweet, a little spicy…Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo is an easy dinner you’ll love any day of the week. The chicken is marinated in a simple vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar sauce and slow cooker with jalapeños and garlic for an extra boost of flavor!
Inspired by a favorite Filipino Chicken Adobo, this classic chicken adobo recipe is made easy with our favorite countertop appliance, a slow cooker. Spoon over a bed of white rice with a side of green beans!
Skip the Oven
Winter is on its way and it’s time to dust off that slow cooker or crockpot to start stewing all the things if you haven’t been using it all summer like me. I love using my slow cooker or Crock Pot all year long but this year, I’ve been defaulting to the grill for most meals.
I still enjoy an easy, braised chicken dinner when the weather heats up. In fact, I’ve been craving this Filipino Chicken Adobo for months and didn’t want to keep the oven on for hours because it’s been so hot most of the summer.
So, I created an easy Crock Pot Chicken Adobo recipe for those times when you don’t want to leave the oven on all day because it’s hot….or have to go to work. This easy slow cooker recipe is one of our favorites and has been on repeat ever since we first made it.
What is Chicken Adobo?
Filipino Chicken Adobo isn’t really a “recipe” as much as it is a method of marinating and stewing a specific cut of meat in a broth mixture made of vinegar, soy sauce, and spices.
Most recipes call for a period of marinating the meat before stewing in the same mixture. This creates the most tender, tangy, melt-in-your-mouth meat.
For this chicken recipe, we skip the step of marinating the meat. The slow cooker does all the work of infusing your Chicken Adobo with all the flavors commonly found in a classic Filipino recipe.
How to Make Chicken Adobo
Making Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo is so easy to do and can be whipped up early in the day before you leave for work, school or wherever you need to be during the day.
- GARLIC: Cut the garlic bulbs in half to expose the inside of the cloves. Keep the whole bulb in tact and don’t separate the cloves.
- CHICKEN: Brown chicken in a skillet until crispy and golden on all sides. (If you’re in a rush, you can skip this step but browning the chicken adds a ton of flavor). Transfer all ingredients to the slow cooker.
- SAUCE: In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients and pour over chicken.
- COOK: Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
This recipe leans closer to a Mexican Adobo Chicken with jalapenos for spice. For a milder flavor, leave them out. This will not affect the overall success of the recipe!
What to Serve With Chicken Adobo
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup – great for busy weeknights
- Slow Cooker Pork Loin Roast – with a savory sweet honey garlic sauce!
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas – a table side fiesta
- Slow Cooker Beef Burritos – loaded with tender shredded beef!
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak – favorite comfort food
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- 1 head garlic
- 2 whole jalapeno or serrano chilis
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in the skillet until golden brown and crispy on all sides, approximately 10-15 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cut the garlic lengthwise to expose the top of the garlic cloves being careful not to break the bulb apart. Transfer the garlic to the slow cooker.
- Thinly slice the chilis removing the seeds to make it less spicy, if desired. Add to the slow cooker along with diced onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken. Top with the bay leaves.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve the chicken over white rice and spoon the sauce over the chicken.