Chicken Adobo is often a Filipino style dish, and this savory recipe can be cooked up in no time!
This super easy recipe is cooked on the stovetop for a fragrant, hearty, one-pot entrée that will become a family and a crowd favorite!
Adobo is not only a preparation method but also the name of the seasoning.
Adobo seasoning packets can be purchased, but why not make it from scratch? This particular recipe will cooks the chicken in a savory seasoning and sauce for maximum flavor.
Want to set it and forget it? Try this easy crockpot version that can be switched up for milder or stronger flavors depending on who’s enjoying it.
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN This recipe can be made with chicken thighs, legs, or breasts, but for the most tender results, chicken thighs and drumsticks are the best choices!
Thighs and drumsticks are less expensive, and leaving the skin on adds extra flavor!
ADOBO SAUCE For a classic chicken adobo recipe, you will want to use the spices listed in the recipe below.
Want some heat? Kick the heat up a notch with the addition of chipotle chiles.
Don’t have cane vinegar? Opt for cider vinegar! While the flavor will change it is the best alternative to traditional cane vinegar.
Out of soy sauce? Swap it for a dark soy sauce, it will increase the saltiness of this recipe though. Silver Swan soy sauce is a traditional soy sauce that can be used in this dish. It is slightly sweeter than a traditional soy sauce.
How to Make Chicken Adobo
Chicken Adobo has a special flavor all its own, and it’s not hard to make it happen!
- Brown chicken in oil in a dutch oven.
- Saute the onion and add remaining ingredients.
- Top with the marinade and simmer until thickened and chicken is cooked.
What to Serve with Chicken Adobo
There are so many options to choose from when it comes to perfect sides.
- Starch: Spanish rice, cilantro lime rice, oven-baked rice, or quinoa!
- Veggies: roasted eggplant, creamy carrot salad, or a fresh and crisp tossed salad.
- Bread: Homemade French Bread or beer bread for sopping up all that tangy sauce!
Flavor Packed Chicken Recipes
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Roasted Rosemary Chicken
- Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
- Sticky Bourbon Chicken
Did you enjoy this Chicken Adobo recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks (bone-in, skin-on)
- ½ onion slivered
- ⅓ cup white cane vinegar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce reduced sodium
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a deep skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes. Flip chicken, cover, and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until chicken is tender (keep an eye on the liquid and add a bit of water if needed).
- Remove bay leaves and serve with rice and a drizzle of the sauce if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)