As warmer weather approaches, Shrimp Salad will be a fabulous light entrée to add to your go-to recipe collection. There’s nothing quite so refreshing and tasty than a luncheon of shrimp salad mounded on a bed of crisp lettuce. Serve it with saltine crackers and an ice cold glass of white wine (or sangria), like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
Shrimp Salad Dressing
The shrimp salad dressing we use here calls for Old Bay Seasoning, lemon juice, fresh dill and Dijon mustard. This combination of flavors produces a cold shrimp salad recipe with a zing that your family will love.
Old Bay is a zesty spice blend that everyone should have in their cupboard. It’s composed of many herbs and spices and is the quintessential seafood seasoning that enhances any seafood chowder or seafood dish.
How to Cook Shrimp for Salad
My favorite shortcut for this recipe is to buy a shrimp ring when they’re on sale and when guests show up, I simply chop up the shrimp!
If you need to cook the shrimp, it takes almost no time at all. You can tell when each shrimp is done because they turn bright pink and curl up. You can even cook shrimp straight from the freezer with no thawing necessary! Here’s how to cook frozen shrimp
- Bring about three quarts of water to a full boil.
- Dump in the frozen shrimp, peels and all.
- Wait for the water to come back to boil. It will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Then cook the shrimp another two-four minutes, depending on how large they are. Do not overcook! Drain and allow to cool, then peel.
To Make Grilled Shrimp Salad: start by using thawed jumbo shrimp and leave the peel on. Brush with oil and grill for about 2 minutes on a side on the cooler side of the grill. Allow the shrimps to cool, then peel and rough chop them for salad. If they are small shrimp, you can leave them whole and make a very simple shrimp with salad by sprinkling them over chopped romaine or any other salad greens you have on hand.
How to Make Shrimp Salad
To make shrimp salad, start by cooking your shrimp and let them get cool enough to peel.
- Roughly chop the shrimp into uniform chunks and finely dice the eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the shrimp and eggs with the diced green onion, celery and other ingredients.
That’s all there is to it! If you want, you can add chopped avocado for a delicious avocado shrimp salad.
Serve this easy shrimp salad over a bed of lettuce to make a great low carb/keto option! Make this cold shrimp salad recipe stretch to feed a crowd by adding some rotini pasta for a more substantial filling shrimp pasta salad!
For a super yummy shrimp salad sandwich, use croissants sliced through horizontally or pile it high on fresh homemade bread.
More Shrimp Faves
- Bang Bang Shrimp – a fun appetizer!
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche Recipe – great in the summer!
- Shrimp Tacos – perfect for patio lunches
- Lemon Shrimp Linguine – fresh and creamy
- Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe – so easy
- 1 lb medium shrimp cooked, peeled and chilled
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 green onion finely diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs finely diced
- 1/2 long English cucumber finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop shrimp into small pieces.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Serve over salad, on a croissant or with tortilla chips.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)