Scotcheroos are a quick and easy no bake dessert that needs just six ingredients and ten minutes to make! These are made with Special K cereal loaded with peanut butter and butterscotch flavor, and are a definite crowd pleaser.
A Perfect Last Minute Dessert
Ah, Scotcheroos. We go way back. One of my sisters introduced these babies to our family after she got the recipe from some friend in college. They instantly became a family favorite. Why? Just smell them! Plus, they only require 6 ingredients and take just 10 minutes to whip up. All of the ingredients are shelf stable so I try to always have those things in my pantry for if I ever need a last minute quick dessert for something that isn’t Rice Krispie Treats.
Besides being super easy to make, these Scotcheroos taste divine! There are other Scotcheroo recipes out there without corn syrup (or with marshmallows) but I’ve never had one quite as good as this. They always come out soft/easy to bite and who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate.
Next Level Scotcheroos
But what takes these to the next level is the butterscotch chips. Yep! That’s not only chocolate on top. It’s a two to one mix of butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. The flavor is divine but also the texture. The butterscotch chips make the chocolate so smooth and buttery.
I definitely ate my fair share of these when I was young. I’d make them for sleepovers, camp each summer, treats for after games… Everyone loves them and eats them right up. In fact, at girls camp one year, my friends got into the Scotcheroos while I was away for a minute and after we had eaten them all the next day they told me they had accidentally dropped them on the floor but didn’t tell me because they knew I’d throw them away and they still wanted to eat them. I’m a germaphobe, but to others, they are good enough to eat off a cabin floor.
Festive Scotcheroo Alternative
What are you waiting for?! Go grab these 6 ingredients and make these sinfully good treats. You won’t regret it! If you’re wanting to make these for someone you really love, follow my recipe to make them using Rice Krispies and shape them into hearts (and if you don’t have Special K on hand, these can be made with cornflakes too).
For the Base:
- 6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 1/3 cups creamy peanut butter
For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and set aside.
- In the bottom of a large pot, heat sugar and Karo syrup over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook just until sugar dissolves or until it starts to barely bubble. Remove from heat, stir in the peanut butter until it melts and the mixture is smooth. Add in the cereal and fold gently until all cereal is evenly coated. Spread into the pan and gently press flat.
- Place the butterscotch and chocolate chips together in a bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 second increments, stirring between each until smooth. Pour over the cereal and spread to the edges. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)